Vaginal discharge

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
LadySteph
not a newbie

Vaginal discharge

Unread post by LadySteph »

Is it normal to have milky (creamy) like discharge before your period? I have had some PMS symptoms and then this morning noticed that and I'm not sure if that's normal.
marianthe
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Vaginal discharge

Unread post by marianthe »

Hey Steph- Vaginal discharge is not a reason to be worried unless it comes with itching or burning, or is a weird texture or color (like yellow, green, clumpy). What you described sounds pretty normal!
LadySteph
not a newbie

Could it be an early sign of pregnancy. I usually have discharge and it's not smelly and or itchy but I don't think I've ever seen it this white and cream like on my undies until now..
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Chances are you simply have not observed your discharges frequently, or with as much interest, as you are now when you are worried about pregnancy. That's often the case for users expressing they have never noticed what is typically just normal discharge before.

If you are concerned about a pregnancy, or want to know if you are pregnant or not, a pregnancy test is what you need to do. If you are concerned about this being about an infection, then checking in with a healthcare provider is what you'll need to do.

However, thicker, creamier discharge just before a period is the kind of discharge that is most typical for people during this time of the cycle.

Here are a couple links to give you more information:
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
LadySteph
not a newbie

Thank you very much.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

You're welcome. :)

Have you yet started getting any sexual healthcare, LadySteph? If not, since you are sexually active, it'd not only now be time to start with basics like an annual GYN exam, pap smear and STI screenings, but it also sounds like you could use a conversation with a healthcare provider to discuss things like your concerns about just using condoms 9and to discuss your additional contraception options, if you like) or discharges.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
LadySteph
not a newbie

I will have to do that, specifically about anxiety. I have not yet because I am about to be a college student and move out from my parents so a lot of stuff is happening. I started engaging in sex within the past couple of months and I worry way too much. It's come to the point where I'm not sure if I'm just making stuff up. Example, last time I had sex, I saw the condom and was confused if it may have been leaking at the top. Then I started having thoughts that maybe it broke and it's like I can't remember what happened. I don't know if this is common or has something to do with OCD. It's very frustrating.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Have you looked into what healthcare services your college will be providing? Many colleges offer sexual healthcare services AND mental healthcare, so if you can hang in there, it may well be that once you start school, you'll be able to easily access both of these kinds of care.

Mind, it might also help you out to take any sex that keeps freaking you out off the table, or at least sit down and really weigh the benefits you feel these kinds of sex are giving you versus the downsides -- like getting anxiety triggered. If it looks like it's presenting more stress and angst than good stuff, generally it's probably then not something you want to do until and unless the benefits outnumber the bummers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic