Birth control and period regulating

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Khigh402
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Sense of pride
Primary language: English
Pronouns: No
Sexual identity: Straight

Birth control and period regulating

Unread post by Khigh402 »

This is going to sound weird but my girlfriend and I are very proactive with not having a child. She has been on the birth control pill for 4 months. I always use condoms. Last month she didn't get her period and she was due today but didn't get it. She we be worried about pregnancy or is this just her bc messing with her body?
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Birth control and period regulating

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Khigh402. Welcome to the boards.

This question has already been answered for you on the text service. Next time is better if you can just stick to one service, please.

Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

With or without a hormonal method of contraception, sometimes people skip menstrual periods. It just happens now and then.

But, per usual, if she is concerned about a possible pregnancy, and you have been having intercourse, the best thing to do is just to take a test. proper use of oral contraceptives and condoms makes pregnancy incredibly unlikely, but since no method or combination of methods is 100% effective, if and when someone misses a period and has been engaging in intercourse, it's just a good move for them to go ahead and test, just in case.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Khigh402
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Sense of pride
Primary language: English
Pronouns: No
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Khigh402 »

I did get first response tests. Last month we went through the same thing and she never got her period took a test came back negative. Guess we are more searching as to why she's not getting it. Which leads her to become scared of pregnancy.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Periods can be late or missed for many, many reasons, and pregnancy is only one of them. And with a negative pregnancy result, she can know that in this case, pregnancy clearly is not her reason.

We won't always know why periods are late or missed, nor will we always be able, at the time, to identify why. It is common for younger people to have more erratic periods (and the pill can help with that, but often doesn't totally erase the issue), and we also know people the age of our users bodies are often in a big state of chemical and physiological flux, which also can often make cycles or periods wonky.

So, she and you know this isn't about pregnancy. But if, even knowing that, this is something that continues to be a concern, then it sounds like it's time for you two to talk, check in about if you both really feel okay about being sexual in this way. If you both keep getting scared of this every time, then that's a strong clue that this kind of sex isn't right for one or both of you right now.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

(Btw, I only just noticed you're almost 30, outside our usual user age group. If your partner is as well, then dismiss what I said about adolescence or young adulthood, but the fact remains that periods get skipped sometimes. If she has never had that happen until now and she is around your age, then she's just rare in this regard, that's all.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic