What is love?

Questions and discussion about sexual or other abuse or assault, and support and help for survivors.
Forum rules
This area of the boards is expressly for support and help for those who are currently in or have survived abuse or assault. It is also for those seeking information or discussion about abuse or assault. Please make every effort in this space to be supportive and sensitive. Posts in this area may or do describe abuse or assault explicitly.

This area of the boards is also not an area where those who are themselves abusing anyone or who have abused or assaulted someone may post about doing that or seek support. We are not qualified to provide that kind of help, and that also would make a space like this feel profoundly unsafe for those who are being or who have been abused. If you have both been abused and are abusing, we can only discuss harm done to you: we cannot discuss you yourself doing harm to others. If you are someone engaging in abuse who would like help, you can start by seeking out a mental healthcare provider.
Casey
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make pretty websites and apps
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

What is love?

Unread post by Casey »

Sometimes if we grow up with or experience abuse from those who tell us they love us, it can be confusing what love actually should look like for a healthy relationship. I like to remind myself about what healthy love looks like.

To me, true love is...
  • Knowing I can trust someone completely because they always respect my wishes.
  • Always feeling safe, even if I make a mistake.
  • The wonderful "feedback loop" of it being extremely enjoyable to please someone, and they feel the same about me.
  • Feeling valued for being myself.
  • No violence or threat of violence.
  • Feeling wonderful and "warm and fuzzy".
What is love to you?
Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper
Kaizen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I've kept a journal for thirteen years so far
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Re: What is love?

Unread post by Kaizen »

There was a topic kind of like this on the old boards! Here's what I put there:

* Having someone care about things you're interested in, even subjects that wouldn't interest them otherwise

* Seeing someone make an effort to get along with, or at least tolerate, the other people you are close to

* Being able to argue with someone and feel like the goal is to understand each other and find a solution you are both happy with, not for someone to "win" or prove that they're right and the other person is wrong

* Having your opinions respected

* Not being afraid of embarrassing yourself

* Feeling comfortable asking for things, or for things to be done for you

* Feeling comfortable talking about feelings, including negative ones

* Having those feelings taken seriously (for example, if you tell someone they upset you, having them apologize, or reassure you)

* Knowing that someone wants to spend time with you
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I always have a hard time pinning this down, "love" feels like such a huge thing that it's hard to break down into describable components.

For me, a huge component of being in a loving relationship comes down to comfort: comfort in talking about intimate personal information, in bringing up fears or worries because I know the other person is safe to talk to, in spending time together in a lot of different situations. I don't ever dread spending time with them, or find it stressful, and I feel like time spent with someone I love will recharge my energy and not drain it.
Stephanie
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: Social Butterfly :)
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by Stephanie »

Anyone else see this and automatically start singing "Baby don't hurt me..."?

Love to me is complicated yet easy at the same time. It's complicated to explain to someone that doesn't get it, see it, or understand t about your relationship. It's possible that they never will and you may not be able to fully explain it yourself.

It's easy because you can't help but do it. They make you smile and laugh, think happy thoughts, and feel good about being you. They also sometimes make you cry (not on purpose) and make you want to fight to make it work no matter what struggles you face. They're your friends, your everything just because they're there and just what you need and want. That's love to me. I'm glad I found it in my partner and best of friends.
If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
zeitvogel
not a newbie
Pronouns: him

Unread post by zeitvogel »

I think my definition of love (at least whether they love me) boils down to three things:
- your happiness is important to them
- they show this in their actions
- they know you well enough to know what makes you happy

The third one becomes important when you have someone who tells you what should make you happy. That's not love.
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Oh stephanie you got there before me!

'Don't hurt me, don't hurt me... no more. '

I actually quit using love to describe romantic relationship things a few years go, just to make things easier for myself. Now I might talk about wants, and how someone makes me feel and so on, much more.

I think actually the ambiguity of love and what might differentiate it from liking-a-lot is one one the nice things about it as well as a thing that can at other times suck. There is something very trusting and also brave about stepping into the unknown with a partner and being open to and accepting of some possibility of getting hurt, and 'love' can sometimes sound like that sort of agreement "I am in love".

In case anyone is feeling left out with my and stephanie's pop reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM
*Dance round the room*
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I actually started using "love" as a term much more broadly a few years ago, because it was clear that I felt love for my friends as well as my partner and I wanted to acknowledge that (this was part of a bigger project of reminding myself that my emotional life was not tied only to my romantic partner). It just manifests itself differently depending on the person, both in terms of how it feels to me and how I express it. I think the most general definition of it is similar to the one Mo gave. When I feel love for someone, I feel comfortable with them, and my interactions with them (in general) leave me feeling happy or content when they're over, instead of stressed or anxious.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic