New on birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
spotteddog
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes change color
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

New on birth control

Unread post by spotteddog »

I’m 15 almost 16 and just started taking birth control pills today after talking a gyno.

I have been sexually active, not all the time but occasionally. I end up getting a lot of anxiety over pregnancy because my periods are fairly irregular and would get a test like every time I had sex because I’d be late and get spooked. I tried to get my mom to take me to the doctor for a while, but she was hesitant until recently. I didn’t get to tell them I was actually having sex because my mom was there. They said it would be fine for me to go on the pill for helping regulate my cycle though

I wanted to go on it for so long to help ensure I won’t get pregnant, plus the whole regular cycle thing seemed nice. Now I’m having second thoughts about it. I’m worried it might not be good for me, or I’m too young. I feel really adult taking it I guess? I felt fine having sex but for some reason but now that I’m actually able to go on birth control I feel weird about it

I’m too early in to even know if it works with me as I just took my first pill today. Is it a good idea for me to take it? Would I have been fine missing periods and just using condoms? I would get crazy stressed on the rare occasions I’d have sex imagining all the ways the condom could’ve gone wrong. I haven’t even had sex since December and don’t plan on it soon necessarily since it’s hard to when my mom is always around and very strict.

What are the benefits, and are there any drawbacks to starting?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: New on birth control

Unread post by Siân »

Hi spotteddog,

One of the things we often recommend for people who are worried about pregnancy is the buddy method - using two kinds of birth control together (like condoms and the pill) - to make extra sure that pregnancy doesn't occur, so from that perspective it sounds like your choice is a sound one.

Also, I wouldn't say that you are unusually young to be using birth control, and contraceptives have gone through an awful lot of testing to make sure that they are safe before they can be prescribed to people.

So there is no problem with you taking the pill, and in a lot of ways it sounds like it's a good idea. The question I think I hear you asking though is is it the right choice for YOU? Well, I'm not you, so I can't answer that question. What I can do is talk with you about the pros and cons and you can decide.

Pros then:
- you don't want to get pregnant and the pill is very effective (91% with typical use) at preventing pregnancy if taken properly
- you struggle with anxiety around pregnancy and the pill might help you worry less
- you have a very irregular cycle and the pill can make it more regular

Cons:
- many people have side effects with the pill, like changes in their body or mood
- you have to remember to take it every day for it to be effective
- you'll still need condoms to protect you from STIs

Looking at those lists, how do you feel? And when you ask if you'd have been fine sticking with condoms, what does fine mean to you? You probably wouldn't get pregnant - condoms are 86% effective with typical use - but you probably would feel pretty stressed.

Also, it sounds like working on some of that anxiety might be a good idea, whichever option you take - what do you think?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic