How to masturbate without parents knowing?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Siahues
Awesomeness Quotient: I can sing well
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Bii

How to masturbate without parents knowing?

Unread post by Siahues »

So I’m 18, I live with my parents and I share a bedroom with my younger sister, who comes home earlier from school than I do work. So there isn’t a single time where I’m alone in the bedroom. My family are strict Muslims however I’m not. I believe they find this very taboo..

I usually do it in the living room at 3am when everyone’s asleep but juggling work and what not I can’t find the time except showers. How else can I privately go on about this situation?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How to masturbate without parents knowing?

Unread post by al »

Hi there Siahues, and welcome to Scarleteen!

That's a pretty tough situation - I'm sorry to hear that you don't have a whole lot of privacy. While it may be something that goes against certain religious beliefs, masturbation is something that lots and lots of people engage in throughout their lives, and is perfectly healthy and safe. (In fact it can be good for you! Check out Going Solo: The Basics of Masturbation for the scoop.)

Other than showers, the only other suggestion that I have would be taking baths, if possible. It's hard to really enjoy yourself when you only have 15 minutes or you're afraid someone will walk in at any moment. If you say that you're going to take a bath (if you have a shared bathroom - otherwise you don't necessarily have to announce it), others will usually give you a little more time and space than they would a shower.

That is one of the benefits of living on your own or having your own room in a shared house. Have you ever considered or tried to advocate for something like that?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Siahues
Awesomeness Quotient: I can sing well
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Bii

Unread post by Siahues »

I tried asking them, but in south Asian culture it’s not normal to move out at 18. Usually 25 bc my parents wanna provide as much as they can. So there’s not much I can do I guess.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

We understand, and I'm sorry this is so challenging for you!

You know, once upon a time I had a friend who shared a flat with someone else WHILE still living with their family at home (similar to you, mostly cultural reasons), so that they had a place where they could bring dates when they dated and get some alone-time for a host of things. Obviously, they had a job that gave them the income to do that, and a roommate where they were able to make good arrangements that allowed them both privacy in the place sometimes: I don't know what your abilities are here, but just tossing that out there. Maybe it's a kind of thing to look into for the near-future, if not sooner?

Too, there are a good deal of waterproof sex toys on the market right now, some of which also are quiet. If the shower is all you have right now, they might be a good option for you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic