Period Problems

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
seabreeze2
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Period Problems

Unread post by seabreeze2 »

Hello,

I am a 23 year old female. I have noticed gradual period problems over the last year, especially since August of this year. They have become much shorter; my normal has been about 4 and a half to 5 days, and one recent period was literally 2 and a half days long. Pre-period symptoms (breast tenderness, cramps) and symptoms during a period (backache, breast tenderness, headache,etc) were little to not there.
I started my periods in the 5th grade, around age 11. I have had what I consider my normal periods since. However, I know that there is a lot going in my life right now that might be contributing factors.

I have been in a relationship for 5 years now with my boyfriend. We have not had vaginal or anal sex, however we have done oral sex for about 2 years. He has been my only sex partner, he had one instance of anal sex with an ex. I do masturbate and I try to do it with clean hands, but sometimes I forget. I also do not insert anything into the vagina besides an occasional finger. I have found that I cannot achieve good pleasure when I masturbate as of late.

I am almost done with my undergrad in college. I have been in college since 2012 and this semester is rather difficult. I am trying to finish strong. But I work two jobs and the weight has been pulling on me.

I mentioned two jobs - I'm a student worker at my university's museum, and my more active job is a Certified Nurse Assistant at a nursing home. I work 8 hours and it's constant walking. I have yet to track my steps, but I believe I walk about 5-7 miles a shift while I am there. I work at the nursing home often, and I have since late July this year.

I also am a frequent blood donor. I last donated last month. I have low iron issues so I try to take iron supplements around time of donation. By taking the iron supplements my last period (this month) thankfully was 3 and a half days, unlike the 2 and a half days one before it. Symptoms were a little more prominent.

Besides school stress, I deal with family stress. My dad has been back to drinking and he smokes again now and that greatly upsets me. I want him to stop and trying to talk to him does not work.
And if it matters, I have low vitamin D and I (try to) take a vitamin daily, 2000 mg.

It just scares me that something very serious is wrong with me,and I am scared to go to the doctor. Though I know that I should. I do not want to freak out my mother or boyfriend, nor end up having to take birth control pills or all that. I am scared that something very serious is going on with me too.

I hope I have provided enough information. Thank you.
seabreeze2
not a newbie

Re: Period Problems

I forgot to mention that I have had fluctuating weight for the past year. I gained a good amount of weight last year, I was up to 167 pounds. I tried eating healthier and exercising, and I was able to get down to 153 pounds. But with the final semester of college I have been eating a lot of unhealthy foods and I might be back to 158 pounds as of now.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi seabreeze2,

It's pretty common to, every now and then, have a period that is shorter than usual or that has less intense (or more intense) symptoms than normal. So if the unusual period has only happened a few times, it's unlikely to be cause for concern. However, if you're really stressed out about it, you can check in with a healthcare provider. Can I ask why you're afraid that this situation will freak out your mom or your boyfriend?
seabreeze2
not a newbie

Hi,

Well it seems to me that this period change has been gradual a little over a year, with it being more short these past 3 months.
Earlier this year I noticed that pre-period symptoms were not appearing as they usually do (or at the intensity I usually have them)and these last two have been 2 or 3 days long.
I'm afraid it will freak out my boyfriend for he might think he did something wrong or worry for me too.
As for my mother, I come from a conservative family (which is why I'm 23 and still haven't had actual sex yet, but we have done oral because of our intimate level) and I know she will freak out. Especially if I have to have all sorts of tests done.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It's actually common for periods to get lighter once you settle into having them and for PMS symptoms to also chill out.

None of what you are reporting here is anything that would suggest any cause for concern. People experiencing pain or things like bloating or cramping with or around periods is common, but it ideally should be minimal. Some people who grow up conservatively are raised with the (false) belief that women's reproductive or sexual bodies/systems are supposed to be painful. Not sure if that was or is a thing for you, but if so, know it's not sound.

Also know that there is no reason your mother would be informed about your healthcare, should you choose to get it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
seabreeze2
not a newbie

Hello,

It has been some time since have posted here. There have been many changes.
When i originally posted, I was still a college student and I had a very stressed out job at a nursing home. I have since graduated and I was let go from my job August 2018. I have not been working. I thought that the period changes were going to get better since leaving that job.

And they have, a little. I have seen the return of symptoms before a period, as well as symptoms during a period. Especially cramps, to my surprise.

I finally went to the doctor last July, and I found out at the time that my testosterone and prolactin levels were elevated. I had no reason why for them to be.
Long story short, I know now why my prolactin levels were high. I live with my parents and my father smokes medical marijuana for his anxiety and aches and pains. When I saw my endocrinologist doctor, he said marajuana can increase prolactin production in women. I personally have not smoked marajuana (don't want to) nor do I smoke anything. I have been taking a pill to lower my prolactin levels.
I have not had a recent test to see my testosterone levels.

Here's the new problems:
I have seen a number of hairs on my chin pop up, as well as one little hair on my chest. When I asked the endocrinologist, though, he didn't think my problem was testosterone related (and that was his specialty). He said I would be shaving hair on my face and other places if I had a testosterone problem. Okay, that's some relief, I guess.

But unfortunately it's almost two years and I have not had a normal period in almost 2 years. As I said, I have seen the return of the symptoms. But the flow is not how it used to be.
This last period was very light, and on day 2 it was just about spotting. The previous period - almost like a medium flow day 1 and lasted about 3 and a half days.

I have gained weight back and am almost at my highest weight - I'm at 162 as of now - and I was told to exercise. The doctor said it will be better for the periods. Well, last time I gained so much weight, I didn't have period problems like I am now....hmmm...

I have had adrenal hormone tests and those have been normal.

I was told to see a gynecologist. I really want to, even though money is short. My boyfriend thinks he and I should be tested for STD's. We've been together for 6 years and - as weird as it may sound to some - we have not been with other people during our relationship. Neither of us have had signs of STD's like warts, itching, foul smells, etc. We have only done oral sex thus far and there has been nothing wrong with our mouths.

I truly feel that something is wrong in my reproductive system. I have been told that "periods change as you get older". But this time around I am not convinced....I will hopefully see a gynecologist soon.
seabreeze2
not a newbie

I also want to add that I have been losing hair for a few years now and there's no sign of any growth, despite that I have been taking biotin 5000 mcg once a day. My dermatologist is at that point where he says there's nothing else he can do.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Checking in with a gynecologist when you're able to seems like a good idea for some additional peace of mind. Like Heather in their earlier comment, I don't see anything particularly concerning in your descriptions of your periods, but it may be helpful to talk to a doctor about them all the same. You could also ask your gynecologist about STI testing, or look for health clinics in your area that may provide them. In some areas you can get inexpensive or free STI tests at some clinics, so that's worth checking out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic