Is my mom being abusive?

When you want support through something scary or rough, and help pulling yourself together and getting through, this is the place.
Forum rules
We ask that users looking for general, ongoing emotional support post in this area of the boards, and that you use this space to both ask for, give and receive that support primarily from each other, rather than from our staff and volunteers. As a staff, we simply are often too overextended with all we need to do in running the organization and its services to do that for extended periods of time, and one of our main aims of our community at the boards has always been to facilitate peers to better be there for each other.

Users often report that they have no in-person peers they can talk to or seek support from: we want this to be a space for online peer support and somewhere everyone can get some practice asking for, getting and giving support so that doing it with people in your lives feels more doable.

Please remember that neither staff, volunteers nor your fellow users can provide or replace mental healthcare when that is something you need. Users struggling with issues like anxiety, depression, abuse or physical health issues are strongly encouraged to seek out qualified, in-person help with those issues in addition to peer or staff support.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Is my mom being abusive?

Unread post by Sam W »

From all this, it sounds like the next step is to ask your mom what the name of the therapist is you'll be seeing. If she won't tell you, this is happening through the school so they will be able to give you a name and contact information (as Ashleah mentioned).

EDITED TO ADD: At this point, it looks like we've reached the end of the ways in which we can help you. You've no doubt noticed we keep going in circles, which can't be any fun for you (or for us). That's because we've hit a point where we've talked about and suggested all that we, as a service, are able to. That leaves the situation in a place where it's up to you to seek out the help you need, be that a counselor/therapist (you could call the counseling center yourself and ask for services), a self-care plan, or ways to not increase the likelihood of conflict with your mom. If you go back through the threads you made here, you'll find the information you need to get you started on those processes.
Memekid
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: its probably hidden inside of me idk
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: Gray Ace

Unread post by Memekid »

Are you sure the therapist won't tell me that its dangerous? My mom says he will.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English

Unread post by Karyn »

We have already said that unfortunately, it isn't likely that you can trust what your mother is telling you. And again, we are at the point where we reached the end of the ways that we can help you: you are going to have to take the next steps to seek out the help that you need as Sam suggested.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Memekid
not a newbie

Unread post by Memekid »

I ended up talking to the counselor and ended up getting neutral advice (Not sure I'm allowed to share) and plus everything is going back to normal, so I guess its time to end this overly-long thread. I really appreciate all the help the staff and users gave me.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Patients can share information about their therapist visits anywhere they like: it's therapists and counselors who have to keep that information private.

Regardless, it sounds like your first visit was positive for you, and that's great. I hope you can keep it up! :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Memekid
not a newbie

An Update

Unread post by Memekid »

I decided to post an update on what's been going on, mostly because I've been feeling bad about leaving this forum unanswered on what seemed like a storybook ending.

The therapist mentioned justifies my mom's actions and just keeps talking about religion which does nothing to solve any problems I've had.

My mom has slowly been growing more and more of a toxic parent by ignoring my feelings, goes through my stuff burning things she doesn't approve of ( including a video game and many massagers that round up to costing 70 dollars in total ) while showing no remorse for it, being a hypocrite ( all the time she has complained about vulgarity and sexual content in tv but watches Outlander and recently said she likes sexy movies in an odd way ) , and goes in a rage whenever I don't make perfect grades on my homework. She shows no concern for my PTSD and didn't care at all when I was showing severe symptoms of it ( not eating normally, being scared in public, and crying all the time were the most obvious symptoms ) during last summer. When my therapist told my mom about it, all she did was yell at me for engaging in conversation with an older man and said to get over it. She victim blames whenever I tell her I'm getting bullied too.

Yesterday was incredibly stressful for me as it was a Sunday and I was dragged to church like usual. Everything seemed like normal until after class when we were celebrating this girl's last day in my mom's preschool class. Mom treated this girl with more kindness than she has ever treated me. Thinking of that added onto my PTSD and started crying. When mom noticed how sad my behavior was, she only said "Quit being so snotty before I smack the tar out of you". It only made me cry more, but mom only kept saying meaner things to me including about how "I treat you better than you treat me".

I spent the rest of my Sunday in my room and got the internet taken away from me just because I replied to mom in a slighty agitated way. She would suddenly get furious and unplug the DSL before going back to watch Outlander and laughing.

I know you guys can't help any further, but I just wanted to tell you how things have been going.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi memekid,

Thank you for the update, and I'm sorry that the therapist did not turn out to be helpful. You're right that, as we said before, we're at a limit in terms of the help we can offer. As we've mentioned before, you do have the option of calling the counseling center in your area and asking for their help and to speak to someone there. I think we've also covered ways of dealing with your mom in this thread, so now may be a good time to go back and take a peek at those.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic