Discharge

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Fender909
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My passion for music.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: None preferred
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Discharge

Unread post by Fender909 »

Hi Scarleteen staff,

So, I had manual sex on October 30th that has been scaring me pretty badly about a possible pregnancy. But four days after that I had my period, (which was obviously a period because of how heavy it was and how long it lasted) but I'm still really worried. My parents have been supportive and I have seen my therapist (and will be continuing to do so in the next week). I have a gynecologist appointment on the 3rd of December where I will ask for a pregnancy test and any STI testing I need.

I'm trying to feel better, but I've been kind of creating symptoms in my head. Nausea and kiss of appetite happened in the first week, I believe from anxiety. My appetite is back in full force at this point. My legs and lower back have been really sore and I keep staring at and touching my stomach, checking for bloating. I'm just scaring myself.

Anyway, for the first few days after my period, I had spotting/red discharge and then after that I was dry down there for a couple days. After noticing an increased (but normal) amount of clear discharge down there, today I noticed a glob of clear discharge, like a booger. Now I'm really wet down there, but a normal, comfortable amount. I'm not experiencing anything abnormal discharge wise. But all these symptoms I'm creating in my head suck. I've had severe depression/anxiety surrounding this situation lately.

Anyway, what I'm asking is, was that glob of discharge normal? I've been paying a lot of attention to my lower abdominal region lately. Probably too much. Do you guys have any input?
Fender909
not a newbie

Re: Discharge

*lack of appetite not kiss of appetite :)
Fender909
not a newbie

I wrote a list of symptoms I've been experiencing since my scare first started to take to my gynecologist when I see her, but maybe it would be useful here, too.

• Severe anxiety (fright of being alone, hyperventilation, panicked state of mind, clinginess)

• Depression (feeling of unreality, not controlling own body, sense of hopelessness, incapability to give anything more than bland responses, haziness)

• Very tired

• body aches, specifically lower back pain

• nausea

• obsessiveness

• lack of hunger (forgetting to eat)

• insomnia (waking up multiple times in the night)

• suspected UTI around 11/15/14

• feeling/looking bloated

I'm aware you guys can't really say too much about the more psychological aspects of this. But maybe this'll be useful.
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

I think you got it right: you are hyper aware of your body right now and that is leading you to notice things you normlly might not. I would really encourage you to try and find ways to distract yourself until that appointment on the third.

However, if you are still experiencing symptoms of a UTI, you'll want to call and ask to have the appointment moved up, as it is important that UTIs are diagnosed and treated quickly.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Fender909
not a newbie

Yeah. I'm trying really hard to distract myself. I feel like my subconscious is always a little focused on my lower abdomen. I get panicky and start messaging my parents while I'm at school or work or just on the bus and they have to tell me that I'm working myself up and I have nothing to be scared about. They say the same thing; that I need to distract myself. It's really hard.

I went to bed with lower back pain last night. That's a symptom of a UTI, correct? I might call today to see if I can get an appointment sooner.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Fender,

If you haven't looked at out self-care article yet, that's a good place to start for ways to keep your mind occupied. There are also a few threads on the board where users and volunteers have collected good distraction activities.
Fender909
not a newbie

Thanks, Sam.
Fender909
not a newbie

I called them again today and they said they couldn't squeeze me in until December 3rd. :(

I'll just have to focus on something else until then. It sucks. I don't know if i actually feel/look bloated or if in just paying too much attention and imagining it. I also am frequently getting slight aches in my sides and my right breast. I feel a little light headed and dizzy today too.
Fender909
not a newbie

Another thing, I think I'm catching something. I'm a bit congested and my throat is tight and sore.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.

Unread post by Karyn »

You may not be able to see your gyn until December 3rd, but do you have a general doctor you can see before then? They may not be able to do a full STI screening for you, but they can certainly check for a UTI and look into your other symptoms as well. (If you are experiencing what you think might be a UTI, it would really be a good idea to get seen earlier - UTIs are easily treated but if they're left too long they can get harder to treat, and the symptoms aren't fun either.)
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Fender909
not a newbie

I do not currently have a general health doctor that I would be able to see before December 3rd. :(

Sigh. My parents are really supportive of me and are trying to ease how scared I am but both of them have told me there is nothing to worry about, and you guys have also told me there is no risk. But for some reason I just can't accept that. I want to, but I can't. And I keep feeling my belly in case of bloating. I really wish I could stop obsessing over this.

My legs and lower back have been super super sore for the past few hours. I don't know what that's about. I really just wish I could stop worrying. At this point, I don't even trust that if I got an at-home pregnancy test and it gave a negative I would believe the results. The only thing I think will calm me down at this point is a doctor right in front of me telling me I am not pregnant. Ah, how I want to feel better . . . . :oops:
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Fender,

I'm glad to hear your parents are so supportive :) I think, if you're feeling this level of anxiety, you may also want to consider checking out some mental heath resources as well. Do you know what kind of access you have to those?

It might be sound to try a pregnancy test anyway. Some people really do find that having that result staring them in the face helpful, but it's up to you to decide if you think it's worth a try.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Fender, if you haven't seen this article I think it might be worth reading through while you're waiting for that appointment: Self-Care When It's Scary
Fender909
not a newbie

I do have a therapist who I have discussed this with. I'm going to be seeing her two times in the coming week. She recommended seeing my gynecologist, and she knows I now have an appointment booked.

I want to take a pregnancy test, but as you can tell, I have mixed feeling about it. When I didn't have any money, I asked my step mom to get me one, but she saw it as supporting my bad choice and refused to. My dad, naturally, stood by her on this. Now I do have the money, but I'm worried that if they find out I took one, they'd be upset because my step mom said that they aren't "even that reliable to begin with" or something along the lines of that. I really, really do want to stop worrying, but at this point, I think it's best for me to wait for the doctors appointment, where I'm in the care of a professional.

It scares me that she won't even buy me a pregnancy test, because what if I needed/wanted an abortion? My dad couldn't pay for it on his own.

Today was a painful day for me. I woke up very sick, with a tight throat, hot face, and congested head. My body shrieked in pain when my feet pressed to the ground, obviously telling me not to move and that it was time to rest. I asked my father if I could stay home today and he insistently said no. I got dressed, looking at my belly, breathing and trying to tell myself it looks no different than it normally does. It seemed (and still does) like my entire body was aching, specifically my lower back, sides of my ribs, hips and legs. The whole day I've been getting random pains in those areas that feel like stabs or shocks, and I visibly cringe. When I got to school, I noticed a spot right underneath my belly button started to hurt if I lean forward or breathed a specific way. It didn't feel like period cramps. It felt more like a pulled muscle or something of the sort. I'm still experiencing that.

After starting to aim my attention towards my belly, I started convincing myself there was a bump there again and that I was bloating pretty badly. I still don't know if I'm imagining the difference or if it's actually larger than usual. I've been pressing in that spot and grabbing my belly all day. I probably looked insane.

I texted my dad all of my new symptoms and told him I'm basically convinced im pregnant. He told me it sounds like a UTI and now he's making sure i drink a ton of water. I told him that I think that if these symptoms of a UTI have been going on for as long as they have, it would be smart to see a doctor so I can get it treated. He told me if it gets worse I have to go to the ER or urgent care since right now I can't get an appointment booked with a gen health doctor. I don't want to have to wait until it gets worse, though.

Now I'm lying in my living room, drinking water and listening to music.
Fender909
not a newbie

So, my stepmom told me that they're selling pregnancy tests at our local grocery outlet (a 12 minute walk from my house) for $1.50 each. It seems kind of odd to me. Aren't they normally between 10-15 dollars?

If I decided to buy one or two of these tests, do you think they would be reliable ones, based on how cheap they're being sold for?
Fender909
not a newbie

I just started lightly spotting again. I don't know what this means. Sometimes I'm irregular with my period, as in I skip a month occasionally, but these past two months I've had it both months in a row. My period ended around November 8th, and I spotted for a couple days afterwards.

And now I'm spotting again. Would this be ovulation spotting? I have never had random spotting in the middle of a cycle before. I know it would be too late for implantation bleeding. I'm just really confused and kind of upset.

I'm going to try to take a pregnancy test as soon as possible.
Fender909
not a newbie

My stepmom said to me that if I'm irregular, it wouldn't be abnormal for me to have two periods in one month. I feel kind of PMS-y and my lower back pain is ramping up big time right now.

She also said it could be a yeast infection.

Also, could this spotting have been caused by me pressing on my belly a lot, my sickness (fever, chills, sore throat), or other things?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Fender,

So, your step mom may not be the best person to ask for medical information around bodies and pregnancy, since she's already told you that pregnancy tests are not reliable (they are, as long as they are taken correctly). If you decide to take one, the info you need is here:
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

And neither she, or your dad, is in a position to be diagnosing all the symptoms you're having. Do you have any way of getting to a doctor or other healthcare provider that is not reliant on them to make the appointment or transport you?
Fender909
not a newbie

I've made an appointment with my gynecologist. That's not until Dec. 3rd. I don't think I really have any other way to get an appointment with a general health doctor except through them. But I've never seen my new gen. health dr. so it would take longer than December 3rd for me to see them.

My parents really do want to help me see a doctor soon, but it looks like any way we want it, we'd have to wait.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Well, the 3rd isn't too far off, which is good. I will say that if the aching you're having continues to be very painful, or gets worse, even getting to an ER or similar would be sound.
Fender909
not a newbie

Thanks, Sam. Will do.

And, quick question, the price of the test shouldn't matter as long as the box isn't tampered with, it isn't past it's expiry date and the instructions are followed correctly?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You got it :)
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Fender, I need to put a limit on talk here with you about pregnancy concerns, and all your posting with every detail of your body around fear of pregnancy. We simply know that when someone is dealing with ongoing anxiety and irrational fear, that engaging like that only helps keep a person stuck in their obsession, rather than helping them to counter it. It's important to us that we take the best care we can of our users and support them in healthy habits and frameworks, and it's also our responsibility to do what we can not to help a user stay in a bad place, be that literal or psychological.

You have that appointment very soon, and you have a therapist you are seeing. Those are the right places to bring these concerns, and also to ask for help managing these feelings and fears.

By the by, in the past we have found that when someone is in therapy, it can be helpful to tell your therapist about your use of our services and ask them what the best way is for you to use them to be sure they support what you're doing in therapy, rather than countering it or even canceling out the work a person is doing with a therapist. So, the next time you see your therapist, how about filling them in on the kinds of posts you have been making here, and asking them if they think that's wise, and if not -- and probably the answer will be not in terms of the frequent posting about pregnancy fears and physical issues surrounding those fears -- how we can all best work together (you, us, your therapist) to help you out, okay?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic