Is it normal to have an abnormal cycle?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like cats
Pronouns: She/her or They/Them

Is it normal to have an abnormal cycle?

Unread post by Ihatemyusername »

I have this weird habit of checking my cervix/cervical fluids because my period is semi irregular (it varies about 10 days) and I've gotten good at telling by feeling my cervix and the fluids when I'm ovulating and have been able to predict when my period will start within a couple of days. I had a period last month, it was normal. This month I haven't had any fertile type of cervical fluid and usually I have a lot of it up until after I ovulate. I don't even have any dry days. It goes from period to fertile mucus to ovulation to dry. Well it's been pretty dry with the tiniest bit of light blood tinted mildly stretchy (less than normal) bits of cervical fluid. Also, I have been having bad back cramps and abdominal pain. My last period also had cramping that was slightly worse than usual but that can vary from month to month so I didn't think much of it. Is it normal to have a month that's so very different than most others? Are the cramps cause for concern? Also, I'm not sexually active unless you count checking my cervix as sexual activity (haha) so pregnancy is unlikey (I can't allow myself to say impossible because my tokophobia and OCD won't allow it, but this isn't an 'am I pregnant question"). I'm not on the pill or any contraception except abstinence. My question is, is all of this normal on occasion or could this be indicative of something important?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Is it normal to have an abnormal cycle?

Unread post by Heather »

Your cervical mucus/fertility cycles don't sound problematic to me. I do hear you saying you have dry days, just not like you maybe expect they should be, but unless you're trying to conceive right now, which you obviously aren't, fluctuations like this just aren't anything you need to trouble yourself with, including cycles where you might have skipped ovulating. That's not super-likely at your age, but it can happen, and when it does, it's usually just about something like a cycle where you had some extra stress, illness like a cold or flu, or other common, no-big-deal changes. It's also common to have a wonky month when it comes to how a period feels, what level of flow you have, etc. Bodies aren't machines: they vary. :)

Per the period difference, can I ask how long you've been having your periods for? And over the last six months, what numbers do you have for your cycles (how long has each been from day one of one period to day one of the next)? Do you have any other health issues that can create irregularity, like an eating disorder, thyroid issues, diabetes or endometriosis? have you checked in with a healthcare provider about the back pain and abdominal issues?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Ihatemyusername
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like cats
Pronouns: She/her or They/Them

Unread post by Ihatemyusername »

My periods are anywhere from 30 to 40 days apart usually around 32 and last 5 or 6 days. I've had my period for over a decade (I got it when I was 10) and have been monitoring it for the past year or so. I do have borderline low thyroid but that has been the case for me for awhile now and I'm in between meds because the last medication I took (Synthroid) gave me bad side effects, I'm scheduled to see my doctor next month to talk about other options but most of the year I was "monitoring" myself I was not medicated. I'm mostly concerned about the cramping but I also have irritable bowel syndrome so it could be a cause. My doctor ruled out any female hormonal imbalances or issues. I was just confused because I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago and only once in awhile mid cycle I get cramps but never in the year I've been checking have I been this dry or had mid cycle spotting (even though it's very light) or had cramping this noticeable.

Edit: I also want to clarify that the fertile mucous I'm referring to that starts after my period and lasts until after I ovulate is that stretchy clear egg white stuff that I always read is the very fertile kind. I just get a lot more of it around the day I ovulate and then it goes away until after my period.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It's totally likely that nothing is wrong, you just have a slightly (and I'd call this that) irregular cycle either just because of a million possible no-problem things, or because of your thyroid. Since you have had a doctor look into this and not find anything wrong, I'd personally accept that determination and not sweat it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic