how could sperm survive in saliva?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
shina21
Awesomeness Quotient: no idea
Primary language: greek
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

how could sperm survive in saliva?

Unread post by shina21 »

Hey Scarleteen, I've been a fan of your job for ages, and I'm really excited to express my kind of-stupid question to your boards!
So, as the information you provide on your site reports, sperm cells are actually pretty fragile and cannot survive different enviroments other than semen or the vaginal fluid, right?
But i've recently read a tweet , in which the tweeter insisted that a living sperm was found alive on a girl's mouth after a blowjob she had given the previous night. A doctor also said himself that spermatozoa could possibly live for 1-2 days inside a woman's mouth, since its warm and moist.
While interesting to think about it, may I ask how is this actually possible? I mean, how could sperm survive when they are ejaculated in a place such as the mouth, since saliva contains many enzymes that would ''break'' the spermies down? And more importantly, how could they survive for more than 1 hour in there, its like they are attacked from everywhere with those enzymes!
Excuse me for my kind of stupid question, but I really cannot understand how is it possible for such a fragile cell as the spermatozoa to survive in an enviroment like that.
Can't wait for your reply :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: how could sperm survive in saliva?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi shina21,

Thank you for your kind words!

While we can't answer for why the doctor said what he, we can say that this kind of scenario simply doesn't line up with what the most accurate research shows about sperm. You read a lot of the reasons why this scenario couldn't happen in the article you mentioned. On top of that, think about what happens in a mouth on a daily basis. Even if the sperm somehow managed to survive in the environment of the mouth, they couldn't withstand the things I person ate and drank (and the mechanics of eating and drinking). Know what I mean?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic