I can't feel my cervix(?)

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
stlee0329
Awesomeness Quotient: I have confidence in myself:)
Primary language: English and korean
Pronouns: just by my nickname
Sexual identity: A proud girl

I can't feel my cervix(?)

Unread post by stlee0329 »

:? I am a girl who has decided to move on to menstrual cups after approx 2yrs of periods. Numerous sources instructed me to find out the length to my cervix, so I positioned myself with one leg on the toilet and put my middle finger in. I managed to put in almost my whole middle finger, about 6.3cm. But the thing is, almost everyone says you will feel something like the tip of your nose with a dimple in the middle, but I couldn't relate. I tried exploring and tilted my finger but I could only feel my vaginal walls. Is it because my cervix is high, and I can't reach it? Or maybe I put my finger inside my (very low) cervix and mistaken it for my walls? Is it possible to insert your finger inside your cervix, because I just don't really get anything at the moment.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: I can't feel my cervix(?)

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi stlee0329,

To start with your concerns about having accidentally inserted your finger into your cervix, you don't need to be worried about that. Nothing but sperm can usually fit through the opening in the cervix, which is why things like tampons (or fingers) can go through it and get "lost."

As for why you're not feeling it, it might help to know that not every person is able to feel their cervix when they do a self-examination. Can I ask why you think you need to find out the length of your cervix? I know you mentioned it has to do with switching to menstrual cups, but most cups only come in two sizes (one for those who have given birth and one for those who haven't).
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Depending on where you're at in your fertility cycle, and how long your arms and fingers are (or are not), there can indeed be times when a person can't feel their own cervix with fingers. During a period + short arms and fingers could easily mean you just can't get it it. And no, you can't put your finger inside. Like Sam said, the os -- the cervical opening -- is much too small for that.

You might find that when you go ahead and insert the cup, its rim will go far enough back that you will then be able to feel your cervix, and that you need to feel out where it goes that way. Have you tried that?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
stlee0329

Sam W wrote:Hi stlee0329,

To start with your concerns about having accidentally inserted your finger into your cervix, you don't need to be worried about that. Nothing but sperm can usually fit through the opening in the cervix, which is why things like tampons (or fingers) can go through it and get "lost."

As for why you're not feeling it, it might help to know that not every person is able to feel their cervix when they do a self-examination. Can I ask why you think you need to find out the length of your cervix? I know you mentioned it has to do with switching to menstrual cups, but most cups only come in two sizes (one for those who have given birth and one for those who haven't).
Well, I think I will most likely by a small sized cup, and thx for the info on whether I actually put my finger inside my cervix. I was just following some instructions on how to choose your first cup, and that's why I measured my cervix. Thanks for the help!
stlee0329

Heather wrote:Depending on where you're at in your fertility cycle, and how long your arms and fingers are (or are not), there can indeed be times when a person can't feel their own cervix with fingers. During a period + short arms and fingers could easily mean you just can't get it it. And no, you can't put your finger inside. Like Sam said, the os -- the cervical opening -- is much too small for that.

You might find that when you go ahead and insert the cup, its rim will go far enough back that you will then be able to feel your cervix, and that you need to feel out where it goes that way. Have you tried that?
Actually, I haven't tried inserting the cup yet, it's still on it's way to my house XD. I think my finger is too short for feeling my cervix, so I decided on getting a cup that is slightly long. Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic