Experiences with cloth/resuable pads

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Experiences with cloth/resuable pads

Unread post by Sam W »

As reusable pads become more and more well known, folks may be curious about what it's like to use them. So this is a place where people can talk about their experiences with reusable menstrual pads.

I've been using them for a few years, and find them way, way comfier to use than standard pads.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Experiences with cloth/resuable pads

Unread post by Karyn »

I don't have periods right now because of my IUD, but up until a couple of years ago I used cloth pads combined with a menstrual cup, and I loved them. So comfy! It did take me a while to figure out how absorbent they were and how long I could wear them before they needed to be changed, and I found changing them when I couldn't get the used one in to soak right away can be a teensy bit annoying (bringing a ziploc bag or something similar to put the used one in until you get home is important!). The nice feel of fabric as opposed to something plastic-y totally outweighed any of the negatives for me though, and it was so great not to have to buy any more menstrual products for years!
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Smallgirl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My body, my chirpiness, I get straight A's
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: I think I'm bi

Unread post by Smallgirl »

I use cloth pads only at the end of my period when the flow is very light, so that I don't have to change them often. That's mostly because my mum goes ballistic if I don't wash them the moment I remove them. And I'm a bit lazy to spend 5-6 mins in washing, every single time I change my pad. But yeah, they're so much more comfortable than disposable ones. No more rashes there.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

I use a menstrual cup, and don't usually have a very heavy flow, so I only use pads the first night of my period. But over the summer I was in rural Vermont and got my period and realized I didn't have any pads. I didn't want to bleed onto my clothes and bedding, and it was nighttime so all the stores were closed, so I wasn't sure what to do...then I realized, I can just use cloth! And that was awesome. Very liberating. And also felt kind of like a "oh duh!" moment. So I cut a rag up and put it in my underwear--worked perfectly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic