Uti / when can you take a pregnancy test

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
bigbywolf
not a newbie
Primary language: English please!
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Uti / when can you take a pregnancy test

Unread post by bigbywolf »

Hi all!

I'm experiencing super bad lower back pain that's disrupting sleep and it hurts at the end of peeing. Im pretty sure it's a UTI.

But just to rule out other options, I wanted to ask if the combined birth control pill interferes with pregnancy test readings? I feel like I would "feel" pregnant if it were the case, but I know thats not a sound assumption.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Uti / when can you take a pregnancy test

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Bigbywolf,

Ouch, that sounds really uncomfortable. Have you had a chance to schedule a check-up with a healthcare provider to see what's up (and hopefully get something to treat the discomfort)?

And nope, the pill should not interfere with a pregnancy test reading.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Just to amplify what Sam said, if you're having very bad lower back pain and it may be a UTI (which it may be), you really don't want to delay seeing a healthcare provider. UTIs by themself are just a pest, but they do need treating if they either don't go away quickly or they cause you pain like that: untreated, they can become a more serious health issue, and obviously you don't want that! I'd really suggest seeing a healthcare provider in the next day, as a priority.
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
bigbywolf
not a newbie

Hey all!

Being of the stubborn 'if you ignore it it will go away' mentality, I left the pain for a couple days. Guess who has a kidney infection now :cry:

Let me be a lesson!! If your pee and back hurt, get that doctors appointment.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

Kidney infections are a bummer, indeed! But it's good you've got a diagnosis and it's being treated. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
bigbywolf
not a newbie

I have another question!

Do antibiotics interfere with the pills effectiveness? My sister (studying pharmacology) says that it's been disproved, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Redskies
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them or she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer/pansexual

Unread post by Redskies »

Your sister's up to date. The most recent research indicates that almost all antibiotics (apart from those used to treat TB) have no impact on the pill's effectiveness. However, it's extremely difficult to disprove with absolute certainty: it's very hard to show, scientifically, that there can be no possible cirumstance ever where something will happen. So there's still a small space for a possible question mark (Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control).

Ultimately, it's up to you, and what amount of security you feel best about. Because we want to support people in not becoming pregnant when they don't want to, if it's really important to you not to become pregnant, we'd still suggest backing up with another method while you're taking antibiotics, and for 7 days afterwards (or more specifically, until you've taken 7 active pills in a row afterwards), just to be extra-sure.

I'm really glad you've got diagnosed and treated, and I hope you're beginning to feel a bit better!
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic