Body bliss call out!

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Stephanie
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: Social Butterfly :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Body bliss call out!

Unread post by Stephanie »

Okay all- everyone has their body complaints, and we had one of these before but it's always a good one to have: what do you ABSOLUTELY LOVE about your body right now? Positives only... And go!
If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Body bliss call out!

Unread post by Sam W »

I really love my back right now. It's gotten defined since I started boxing, which is totally novel for me, and I love how strong it looks (even bought a bra that shows it off, which feels goofy at times but also makes me feel really confident).
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Sexual identity: fluid

Unread post by Onionpie »

I love my eyebrows! I used to be like "aw man they're so big and dark" but now that bold eyebrows are in, I can laugh in everyone's faces. Mine are so on point and I love them so much. I also love my biceps because they're nice and strong with minimal effort and I love how they just make me feel so powerful. Woooh!
Carmen
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: disco dancing on roller skates

Unread post by Carmen »

My curly hair!! I will always remember the middle school days when everyone told me I should straighten it... not anymore! I am glad to have come to love and appreciate it - wild frizziness and all!
Sunshine
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a quote for every situation
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Sunshine »

I have never understood straightening curly hair. I love curly hair. I bet you look gorgeous.

I love my breasts. I am so glad that I am a woman and get to have them. Breasts are great. I like picking out pretty bras and dressing them up, even if nobody but me can see it.
Stephanie
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: Social Butterfly :)
Pronouns: She/ her

Unread post by Stephanie »

Loving all the positives of our own images here :)
If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
rinrinrin
Primary language: english/greek
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by rinrinrin »

I love the surgery scars on my body! One of the schools I went to made me cover them up, but I no longer will! My body is a painted canvas, scars, stretch marks and all
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I miss boxing back, Sam! Back when I was teaching and sparring, I could have written love letters to my back, I was so in love with it!

Also, right there with you on the surgery scars, rinrin: I had a pretty amazing batch after a big surgery in my late 20s, and I took for granted that they wouldn't fade. Alas, they did, so you can only see them if my abdomen gets a lot of sun. Wish I'd tattooed them or something and not just assumed they'd always be there! On the bright side, my chicken pox scars, a big scar on my mouth from a god injury and a couple on my face from a biking disaster or two seem like they are never going anywhere, so I don't have to totally live without scars. :)

Right now, I'm loving my big grey streak in my hair that's been getting bigger and bigger over the last ten years. I'm learning to be in love with the way all of it is turning -- it was reddish for most of my life, and I was kind of attached to that, so the red going away has been a bit sniffle-inducing -- but that's a bit of a longer process. However, this giant grey streak that starts a few inches above my forehead and pours down both sides of my part is making me very happy. It's like my aging process has decided to become my own special colorist! :)

Too, growing up with a round face and "chubby" cheeks, I always felt kind of meh about both, especially since having big cheeks seemed to also often mean people forgot about personal space needs and boundaries and felt inclined to squeeze them (what is with that, anyway?). But I really like my round face and my big cheeks now. It probably helped a lot that people stopped squeezing them, and I may have my finely-honed Italian death stare -- which I also love! - to thank for that. :P
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

Seconding the love of scars! I've been a little upset about my scars from self-injury fading, as I considered them badges of honors, of a sort - a sign of where I have been and what I have overcome. Now they are only visible in the summer, as they don't tan, but I know where they are and what they mean to me. I do still have my surgical scars, and I hope they never fade!

I am really loving all the parts of my body that I have adorned with tattoos over the years. My current favorite is my left hip, which has a zipper tattoed on it. I am in the process of mapping out the tats that are going to go on my right arm, where I have started a sleeve that I hope to continue this summer. It's very exciting!

Over the past couple of years, I have also started to appreciate my feet. I never really liked them too much because they are pretty big and I always felt like most shoes looked like clown shoes on me. But I have been working in various professions that involve being on my feet for 8+ hours at a time, and I really value all the work they are putting in for me. I am really passionate about my work, and my feet help me do it.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Ashleah
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: "I'm a woman phenomenally"
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Ashleah »

I'm really feeling my arms and shoulders lately. I started working out again recently, this go round using weights, and oh man... I feel like I'm Angela Bassett.
Lyssa
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Determination
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by Lyssa »

This may seem weird, but I really love my nose! Like if I look in the mirror, the first thing I notice is my nose. It's a little long and points down a little at the end. I just got a nose piercing and so I am noticing it even more!

I also love my tattoos. I have several all over my body and the artwork and words that I chose makes me love my entire body even more!
light_frost
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I rock black lipstick
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by light_frost »

I like my collarbones! They look elegant in boat neck tops.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

My hair! So much hair!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
capablehippie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can make bread, all by myself

Unread post by capablehippie »

Like a week ago my boyfriend kissed my stomach, which is a part of my body that I can be pretty sensitive about. I noticed I was sucking in a little bit and I decided to let the breath out, that was a very blissful (among other good feelings) moment. So right now I'm more okay with my stomach than usual, and hopefully I can hold onto that feeling for a long time.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

when looking at a photo of myself recently, i noticed how my eyebrows look different from one another. and i really liked that! now whenever i see myself in the mirror, or in a picture, i check out my eyebrows and smile :)
KittyPink
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I do art.
Pronouns: Xe/Xir or She/her
Sexual identity: Lesbian, switch, polyam, rope addict.

Unread post by KittyPink »

I've noticed my hair has got to the point in growing back out, (my mother made me cut it short, it was almost shoulder length too. :/ ) And the super cute, little, lazy curl is coming back! My butt always looks nice, but it's been looking a bit better recently. Also, my eyes, the color's always got me.
"You are a dreamcatcher, you are beautiful to look at and you take the bad away and only give people the good." - Andrea Blankenship

***Transfeminine***

LIVE AND LEARN
SeQuinn
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a fantastic hugger
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by SeQuinn »

This is a fantastic thread! I love reading about all the unique, interesting things that make our bodies ours :)

I've been loving my nails lately - I have super strong nails that don't break easily, and I've been experimenting with some really fun summer nail polish colors in honor of the season.

I've also been struggling with the body image issues summer inevitably brings - I'm wearing less clothing so I'm not as comfortable, and the shorts and shirts from last summer aren't fitting as well. But I love thinking about what my body can DO in the summer - climb a mountain, swim the length of a pool, try that complicated yoga pose. It's nice to just stop and think about all that your body is capable of, no matter what it looks like.
Smallgirl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My body, my chirpiness, I get straight A's
Sexual identity: I think I'm bi

Unread post by Smallgirl »

My breasts! They're very small, but the freedom to go without bras, WHENEVER I want, beats all the snide comments people make about them. I don't know how to explain this, but it is a WONDERFUL feeling. I really love them for being this light to carry around:)
thewrit3r
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m pretty smart

Unread post by thewrit3r »

I love my legs. They're so nice and strong. I think part of the reason I feel that way is because I do workouts that happened to strengthen my legs, like tap dancing, and I just love how strong if makes me feel❤️I also feel like SeQuinn with my love for my nails - they're very strong and beautiful and I love painting them
"The writer is by nature a dreamer - a conscious dreamer."
-Carson McCullers
ameliap
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm pretty funny
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Pan-sexual

Unread post by ameliap »

I love my eyes! They're very big, and a forest-y green brown :D It makes me feel a bit like a wood nymph!
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.
~Author Unknown
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Totally agree with smallgirl here. I'm pretty down with my breasts at the minute, I've just moved to a hotter climate and love that they don't ask me to wear a bra all the time. I'm enjoying having my back out more, it makes me feel strong.
Smallgirl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My body, my chirpiness, I get straight A's
Sexual identity: I think I'm bi

Unread post by Smallgirl »

Kat J wrote:Totally agree with smallgirl here. I'm pretty down with my breasts at the minute, I've just moved to a hotter climate and love that they don't ask me to wear a bra all the time. I'm enjoying having my back out more, it makes me feel strong.
Yeah! Bras and hot summers are never a good combination! The place where I live, it gets as hot as 102-105°F in summers!
0PT1M15T1C
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can build things
Pronouns: They/He
Sexual identity: I don't really know anymore

Unread post by 0PT1M15T1C »

So, I was surfing around and found this, and although I'm a few years late I thought it was pretty amazing.

For me, I've noticed there's actually quite a few things I really like about my body, one example is my teeth. I had to have surgery to not only remove my wisdom teeth but one of my "I" teeth was actually in my chin, so that had to come out and I had to get cadaver bone put in (and had to learn what that was. that was interesting). My teeth were crowded and it held that baby tooth in place until my braces had moved my teeth enough for that to come out, currently I have a gap there, but I actually love it. I love grossing my friends out with the things I can do with that and although we're trying to close that gap, it's fun. It's always an interesting story to tell, and as far as the tooth, I like saying I got in a fight to make myself sound badass, but usually people assume it's because I took a soccer ball to the face.

I've always liked my eyes and eyebrows, there's a few different things I enjoy about that, I just think in general the shape of my eyebrows are nice, and I got a little ballsy and slit my eyebrow and I think that looks good too. With my eyes, I love the way they look in the sun, and I've come to like the way my glasses make my eyes look. I'm extremely farsighted and so I get comments about that quite a bit, but I've learned to like it, I got glasses at a year old, and all my baby photos my eyes are crossed, I think it's funny. Doctors were willing to operate on me at a year old because they were nervous about my eyesight rapidly decreasing and thankfully, glasses did the trick. I guess I've kind of just learned that if I didn't get glasses when I did, my whole life would be different and so anything I felt self conscious about regarding my eyes, I kind of learned to love that I still get to see the mountains, my pets, I get to read and play soccer.

I noticed other people mentioned this as well, but I really like my back, shoulder and neck muscles, as a goalkeeper those are rather defined, my legs are a big example of that. Really, I quite like most of my muscles, I love having abs, I like my butt, my calves, and my biceps, even though those are smaller. Working out and being athletic is something that's saved my life more than once and something that I work hard at, so it's nice to be able to show those off. I have one (or I guess two, I'm not sure how to describe it) muscle in my neck that's quite defined, especially when I turn my head one way or the other, my friends think it's a little weird, but I love it so much. I also like how prominent my collarbones are, that's always been nice. A lot of my pieces come for experiences that have taught me something, and I'm grateful to have been able to learn to love myself and my body more because of it.
You have the power to say "This is not how my story will end".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic