Weird period after switching birth control

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Lavm13

Weird period after switching birth control

Unread post by Lavm13 »

Hi! So here's the thing: i used to be on birth control, and after almost a year i had to stop because i couldn't buy them anymore because i couldn't find them at farmacies anymore (due to terrible healthcare issues in my country) but anyway, as i was really comfortable with taking pills because i started to get regular periods after a whole year of being in a roller coaste, i decided to buy a new brand of pills after two months, which were prescripted to me by my doctor, but as it happens, i could only buy one box and when it ended, i never saw them again, so i had to stop altogether. The thing is, that after that i had a regular period again, not on the perfect 28 day cycle but still got it anyways, but this time it was like 5 days late which was kind of normal for me because i'm not that regular, but i'm really worried because it looks really weird... At first it was a brownish discharge (sorry for that) and it was normal because i thought it was like the remanents of my last period or something, it was like when you are in your last couple of days on your period, but then the second day it was still brown and very light, and now i'm on my 3rd day of it and i'm starting to get worried.
I've looked it up online and apparently there's like 3 options: 1) hormonal disbalance 2) implantation bleeding 3) really serious deathly desease.
I'm thinking maybe it could be option 1? I've looked into implantation bleeding before and lately it seems like everyone is making such a fuss about it even though it only happens to like 1 in 5 woman, but i'm still worried.
But even though i'm sexually active i really don't think that could be the case since me and my bf are always really carefull and we use protection and lube.
I think, since i'm healthy overall, it could be a hornonal thing because birth control switch and such, but what i don't understand is that i had a regular and normal period before this one.
I'm sorry i've written so much... Anyways, thank you and i'll wait for an answer :)
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Weird period after switching birth control

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Lavm13. Welcome to Scarleteen. :)

Is not that uncommon to cycles and periods go wonky when you are using or stop using birth control. Bodies are not machines and they react different all the time. Just because something never happened before it doesn't mean it can't ever happen.

Dark/brown blood only means old blood leaving the body. If you are up to date with your sexual healthcare (and sounds like you are from what you are saying) then you have nothing to worry about. :)

Just so you can feel better, implantation bleeding is not only very rare but if and when it happens it is so little that it can go unnoticed.
Lavm13

Unread post by Lavm13 »

Well thanks for the reply! I guess that eases my mind a bit, i was kind of worried that i could be sick or something, but it seems that the most logical explanation is that, as you said, it's because it's only been two months since i've been off birth control.
I think that the main reason i'm worried is because i already had a normal period after stoping birth control, so this is kind of weird for me. But i'll just try to wait and see.
Thanks again!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Unread post by Eddie C »

I know how scary is when your body is doing something that you don't understand. Please consider doing some self-care while you are feeling anxious.

You know? People is always trying to fit themselves in just two categories: "normal" and "not normal". The thing is, there's a thousand more places where your body can fit, and because a body is alive it changes. There's people who just by taking a pill two hours later can experience spotting while there's others who can totally skip one and see no changes on their cycle patterns. None of this is normal or abnormal, is just the way their bodies react. :)
Lavm13

Unread post by Lavm13 »

Thanks Edith you are right! :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic