Alternative Menstrual Remedies

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Onionpie
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Absolutely Everything
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: fluid

Alternative Menstrual Remedies

Unread post by Onionpie »

Since the issue of cramping and pain during menstruation, as well as PMS and irregularity gets brought up a lot in other threads, especially those discussing the pill, it seems important we have a thread dedicated solely to what methods and approaches have worked for people which do NOT involve birth control pills or other hormonal methods or mega-doses of Ibuprofen and the lot.

Note: If you have extreme menstrual problems and your doctor has NOT thoroughly examined the matter with a pelvic exam, full STI screening, some basic blood tests and an ultrasound, make sure you have that done. Do NOT accept just being thrown unto the pill or being given painkillers: while either or both may work for some women, often those are temporary and still don't identify the problem, and much of the time, severe menstrual pain means something IS wrong. A doctor who tells you that's normal may not be adequately doing his/her job, or all that well-versed or invested in women's reproductive health. So, before trying anything listed here by staff or users, do be sure and do that first.

Here are a few places to start per menstrual pain and discomfort.

• Acupuncture and chinese medicine. Acupuncture is what is done for pain relief, and adjunct therapies like cupping may also be used. Your acupuncturist may also give you an herbal medication to correct any chi/ki imbalances that might be contributing to the problem. Personally, I've had an acupuncture session not only prevent cramping (I have painful cramping every other month, which has been attributed to both stress and possible scarring of a fallopian tube from an ectopic pregnancy), but also nip it right in the bud, providing me relief for days from a single session.

• Massage. You can either get a massage from a massage therapist, teach a friend or partner how, or use a back massager.

• Heat therapy. Hot tubs, hot baths, even the old hot water bottle or heating pad can be your big pal. Those stick-on or insertable self-heating pads are also really awesome.

• Exercise. Increased levels of activity increase circulation as well as providing endorphins, nature's pain reliever. Plus, stronger muscles in the back, pelvis and abdomen can provide greater resistance to pain. Even just some deep stretching and a brisk walk to school or work can make a difference.

• Dietary changes. Some foods can increase menstrual discomfort in many people: caffeine, alcohol, dairy products, meats, simple carbs and highly processed foods,

• Herbal medicines. Some herbs and compounds -- namely emmenagogues, which stimulate blood flow in the pelvis and reproductive organs -- like red raspberry leaf, blue cohosh, angelica, black cohosh, mugwort, tansy, Vitamin C and others -- can be of help. You can often find combination capsules or teas of blends of some of these specifically labeled for mesntrual discomfort at any natural foods store. You can also ask a nutritionist or naturopath/homeopath about them.

• Lifestyle changes in advance of your period. Preventing pain can often be more effective than managing it once it's present. So doing simple things like, in the week before your period, getting extra rest, cutting out caffiene and/or alchohol, eating lighter, healthier meals, getting extra exercise, reducing stresses, and using an alternative therapy BEFORE menses is nearly always beneficial.

• Ditch tampons. Because they absorb flow, rather than containing it, tampons can contribute to greater cramping: consider switching to either pads or a menstrual cup.

• Time. Sounds silly, but sometimes, it just takes some years for the menstrual cycle to settle in and calm down. This is likely a big reason why very young women who go on the pill, then come off in their twenties, attribute the pill to having regulated/calmed their cycle, even though it doesn't have the capacity to do that in any permanent way.

Feel free to post other alternatatives that have worked for you!
(Originally posted by Heather on the old boards here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... 04520.html
Snorkmaiden
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I like to help.
Primary language: Dutch
Sexual identity: straight butch

Re: Alternative Menstrual Remedies

Unread post by Snorkmaiden »

I'm definitely one of those who can report diminished cramping since I started using a menstrual cup instead of tampons. It's nowhere my previous level of cramping. Sometimes I get something that feels like one-tenth of a cramp. That's all!

I've also heard that it often helps to drink extra water before and during menstruation.
Peonies
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can raise plants from the dead
Sexual identity: cis female

Unread post by Peonies »

Getting a good nights sleep helps me a lot. Just making the point to get in bed earlier, turn off the cell phone and lights, and relax is so helpful. I can combat the extreme fatigue I get a lot better. It also reduces my headaches.

Switching to pads was better for me as well. I have noticed less cramping since I ditched tampons.
Formerly CraftyKid
Emma
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My love of travel and exploration!
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Don't use any :)

Unread post by Emma »

I get cramps like nobody's business, and the only thing that has helped me is finding pressure points to soothe the pain. if you put your hands behind your back with your fingers just above where your back turns into your bottom and your thumbs on your waist and touch your pinkies together with your palms flat against the small of your back, the first and second knuckles on your ring fingers should be over pressure points that are very soothing when massaged by yourself, a friend, a family member, or a partner.
"What happens when people open their hearts? They get better." — Haruki Murakami
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I just want to second the bit in the original post about the stick-on heating pads. You can get a pack of three for around 8 bucks (the size that says it's for wrist and neck should work for most people) and they can be lifesavers if you need to be at work or school a day when you're having bad cramps. They last for hours too, which is awesome.
natcmau
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/ her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by natcmau »

I have endometriosis, which can cause severe menstrual cramping and pain, as well as many other symptoms. A while back, a friend of mine told me that she used a menstrual cup instead of tampons. At first I was really skeptical, but I ordered a divacup (size 1) off of amazon (it's cheaper online than it is in places such as wholefoods) and started using that instead. I cannot begin to explain how tremendously better my body feels. Using the cup took a little getting used to, but I've read that it's safer than tampons and it's much more eco-friendly as well, so the learning curve was worth it. My cramps have dissipated so much since doing away with tampons. I definitely won't be switching back any time soon (or at all for that matter).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic