Tender breasts?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
OuchMyBreasts

Tender breasts?

Unread post by OuchMyBreasts »

Hey, I have a question that I'm not sure if any of you could answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

I'm 21 years old. As of about a month ago, my breasts have been very tender, very painful, a bit fuller, and almost seem like they're growing. This happens every day as of a month ago. I have a doctor's appointment set for Friday, but I'm a little bit nervous about it being indicative of something else. I keep worrying about things like breast cancer, but I've been reassured that breast cancer normally doesn't hurt... and there's no lump that I can locate... and I'm a bit young for it... AND I have absolutely no family history of cancer.

The only reason I can really come up with is the fact that I was on penicillin shortly before the pain started. I've been on my birth control for 3 years (Alesse) and there was a warning on the pill box that antibiotics can mess with hormonal birth control. The only other time in my life when my breasts have been sore was when I was first adjusting to the birth control. Is it possible that my body is "re-adjusting" in a way to my birth control? I'm not sure if that would explain this pain for a month.

I can't be pregnant either. I've never had sex. I've done some things where sperm could potentially be transferred, so I bought two pregnancy tests just in case. I took one in early November, and one a few days ago. Both were negative.

Can breasts possibly still be growing at 21? I've always had pretty small breasts (34A) so I have no complaints if that's what they're doing!! My mom was thinking it might be a growth spurt, but I'm not sure if that makes sense due to my age?

I was also wondering if someone could tell me what to expect at my appointment. I've waited until Friday because I get to go home from school and see my normal doctor, who is female and who I feel very comfortable with. I've never removed any clothing in front of my doctor, or really anyone before, so it's kind of awkward. I'm assuming she'll examine my breasts and check for any lumps/abnormalities? And would blood work be probable? Or an ultrasound? My mom thinks she'll likely change my birth control pill, which I won't love since my current one leaves me with no periods (if I could keep having no periods + grow bigger breasts, then I'd be pretty happy).

Any insight would be appreciated!!
Eddie C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I create. :)
Primary language: Spanish and English
Pronouns: She, her, they, hey you!
Sexual identity: Happy :)

Re: Tender breasts?

Unread post by Eddie C »

Hello there, Ouch. Welcome to the boards! :)

Long story short, yes, breast can still grow when you are 21 and it is not that uncommon when they do. I'm glad to hear you have an appointment with someone soon and you can always bring this up to them if you are still concerned. Birth control, even when have been taking it for years, can affect the way your body feels. Bodies are not machines so is not weird that sometimes they re-adjust every now and then.

Good luck with your doctors appointment! Is always great to hear when people take care of themselves. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic