Questions about Cervical Mucus

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Tots216
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a very loving person with a good soul
Primary language: English.
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Questions about Cervical Mucus

Unread post by Tots216 »

Hello,
After a recent pregnancy scare that I posted on here about a month ago, I decided to get to know myself and my body more. I got interested in knowing about fertile weeks, pre and post ovulation ect. and have seen a lot of women talking about cervical mucus. I came to realize that I never get "egg white" mucus. Most of the time I usually get "school glue" mucus that feels watery.
Is this a typical thing found in some girls?
Thanks in advance.
Tots216
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I am a very loving person with a good soul
Primary language: English.
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Cervical Mucus?

Unread post by Tots216 »

Hello
After a recent pregnancy scare that I posted on here about a month ago, I decided to get to know myself and my body more. I got interested in knowing about fertile weeks, pre and post ovulation ect. and have seen a lot of women talking about cervical mucus. I came to realize that I never get "egg white" mucus. Most of the time I usually get "school glue" mucus that feels watery.
Is this a typical thing found in some girls?
Thanks in advance.
Amanda
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I ran a marathon!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her or they/them
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Questions about Cervical Mucus

Unread post by Amanda »

Hi tots,

Good for you for getting to know your body better! I don't think any slight variation from the "norm" is anything to worry about. What you observe may also depend on how you are taking your samples. I think the most important thing is establishing a baseline of what is normal for you. If you experience anything that's pretty far from your baseline--ie, very different color or smell-- that's when it's time to check in with your doctor. You may have already seen this article, but in case you haven't: Get With the Flow: All About FAM
"We must not see any person as an abstraction. Instead, we must see in every person a universe with its own secrets, with its own treasures, with its own sources of anguish, and with some measure of triumph." -Elie Wiesel
magentakitty
not a newbie
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Re: Questions about Cervical Mucus

Unread post by magentakitty »

Hi there :)

I use fertility awareness as my primary birth control method (use withdrawal or condom during my fertile time) and have been charting my cycles carefully for 2 years. Love this method and love knowing my body and will chart until menopause. I have some info that might help you and a few sources.

First of all, not all women get egg white cervical mucus. There is variation among women and some women have watery or even creamy as their most fertile mucus. After you chart for a while you will know what is normal for your body and how your cervical mucus changes throughout your cycle. You can google pictures if you like. Also, checking internally by your cervix (way up there) helps to give the most accurate view of your cervical fluid. As you chart, if you choose to do so, you will notice that your cervix gets softer close to ovulation as well.

The master resource for fertility awareness is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. This book is wonderful and has everything you need to know about your cycle, fertility signs, pregnancy avoidance and achievement. http://beautifulcervix.com has great resources about the cycle and how the body and fertility signs change throughout (w/ graphic pics of the cervix and fluid so beware if you are squeamish!)... fertility awareness fb group is awesome... also tcoyf.com has good resources.

Let me know if you have any question!

Liz :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic