The good things our bodies do

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

The good things our bodies do

Unread post by Karyn »

I've realized lately, from watching conversations here at the boards and just from talking to and listening to people in general, that people, on the whole, only really notice or acknowledge the bad or uncomfortable things going on with their bodies, and not the good/awesome things.

One example of what I mean is something I find happens frequently in everyday in-person conversations. If one asks someone how they're doing and they decide to give a more detailed response then just "I'm okay" or "not bad," I often find that they're most likely to talk about how stressed they feel, or how tired they are, or how much their right shoulder aches, rather than sharing that they feel awesome, or that they just went for a walk and their body feels really good, or relaxed, or energized or (insert your own adjective).

When we talk to people here at Scarleteen who express worry over what their body is doing at the present moment, we often find that these same folks, when asked about what their body used to do, say that they didn't start paying attention until the new discomfort or worry cropped up.

I think most of us are conditioned not to pay attention to our bodies unless they do something really dramatic.

The thing is, though, that our bodies are really amazing and complex entities. They're changing, adapting, and just plain functioning for us in subtle and not-so-subtle ways all the time. They have the power to make us feel awesome, as well as crappy or just so-so. many times when our body does something or feels a certain way that really gets our attention, it's because it's been gently asking for our attention for a while and since we haven't payed it that attention, it then has to up the ante.

So, what I'd like to discuss and share here is ways that our bodies feel good or do positive things for us in our every day lives.

Right now, checking into my own body, i'm noticing how relaxed and open my neck and shoulders are. That's usually where I carry a lot of tension, and because of some long-standing neck problems I have, getting rid of that tension once it makes itself apparent is tricky. So, I'm appreciative when those muscles and joints feel loose and happy without any say-so or input from me and I try to remember to thank my body for that, rather than just ignoring it until pain reminds me that I actually do have neck muscles.

What subtle things do you notice about your body on a day-to-day basis? Or, checking in with your body right now, what do you notice it doing that you feel good about?
Originally posted by Robin at the old boards: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimat ... 08979.html
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Ruth
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer/lesbian

Re: The good things our bodies do

Unread post by Ruth »

I think this is a really good idea! Checking in with my body when it feels good is going to be so much more helpful than only observing it when it's bad.

I don't tend to notice things on a day-to-day basis (though I'll change this!), but right how I feel all comfy in that just-had-a-good-night's-sleep kind of way, and I fixed my posture up while reading this and now I feel so much more relaxed and comfortable. Go this thread!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic