birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kiiiimibela
not a newbie
Pronouns: she/her

birth control

Unread post by kiiiimibela »

Hi! I’m interested in taking birth control, but I have some questions. Does it cause acne? Will it mess up my period? Which is the best for me? Is it possible to get it without my mom knowing? Will it be costly? I’m sorry thats a lot but i just need some information before I continue on.. If possible can you tell me some more stuff about taking it and its effects etc?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: birth control

Unread post by Mo »

I'm glad you're thinking to ask important questions before starting a form of birth control! The tricky part is that a lot of these questions aren't ones we can know the exact answer to; any side effect that's possible with a particular form of birth control might happen for some people and not others, or may be an issue for a month or two and then subside. I can say, though, that doctor-patient confidentiality policies mean your doctor isn't allowed to tell your parents that you're using birth control.

I think the best thing you can do is to do a little bit of reading and research on the different birth control methods available (our guide to all of these methods can be found here: Birth Control Bingo!), and make a short list of a few methods that sound appealing to you. From there, you can talk to your doctor and work together to make a decision on what you both thing will be the best one to try. Do you already have an existing doctor you see who you could talk to about your options?

In terms of price, how much birth control will cost will depend on the type you choose and your insurance, if you have it; often, insurance companies will have information on their website, or a number you can call, that will provide detailed information about what's covered and how much you can expect it to cost. Someone at your doctor's office may also be able to get that information for you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic