Pregnancy Fear

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Anna2233
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My talent for softball
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Female

Pregnancy Fear

Unread post by Anna2233 »

So I had sex three times but each time a condom was worn and he pulled out before ejaculating inside. I am also on the depo Shot, what are the probabilities of me becoming pregnant?
Anna2233
not a newbie

Re: Pregnancy Fear

Also should I take plan B?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

It is not our policy to engage with pregnancy scares -- I'll leave a note about that in a sec -- but I wamnt to say something about contraception.

You are already using one of the most effective methods of contraception there is (Depo) and backing up with condoms. Did your healthcare provider talk to you about the incredibly high effectiveness of this combined method? Do you understand how highly effective it is? If so, want to talk about why you're also engaging in withdrawal, which just isn't necessary with those other two, and asking about Plan B, which can't do anything your Depo isn't already doing more effectively?

It may be you just do NOT feel secure, no matter what, or comfortable having intercourse even with all of those things. If so, we can talk about what you think you need to feel better OR about how to say no to intercourse if it just isn't something you wither really want for yourself or do, but just don't feel comfortable taking part in right now.

Here's the pregnancy scare response part:

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Anna2233
not a newbie

Does a stool softener pill or alcohol affect the effectiveness of the depo Shot?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Nope! And know that you can always double-check with a pharmacist anytime you're somewhere buying an over the counter medication like a stool softener or when you're getting another medication just to be sure you don't have to worry about interactions. :)

And again, I'd be happy to talk with you about why you think you don't feel confident with these methods and what your options are -- and how to exercise them -- given how you're feeling.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Anna2233
not a newbie

If I take plan B on my depo Shot, does it affect the effectiveness of the shot later?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Nope! Plan B is not going to compromise the effectiveness of the shot.

Really though, it may be most helpful right now to focus on what Heather offered, which is to talk about why you aren't feeling confident with the method you're using and what your options are.
Anna2233
not a newbie

I just don’t think sex is right for me right now, I’m terrified of becoming pregnant that’s why I practiced four methods (pullout, condom, depo shot, and plan B). I need time to relax and focus on the fact that pregnancy isn’t even an issue with everything I used. I’m scared that God won’t love me anymore because I failed him and myself and my parents.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Personally, I don't understand how or why anyone would believe in a god that would love people only conditionally, and I'd suggest you reconsider the idea yours would. I'd hope that if you're going to have that kind of belief, the kind of god you choose to believe in will be kind and forgiving, not cruel and punishing.

Do you need some help with saying no to sex right now or otherwise making clear to a partner that you need to take sex (some or all kinds of it, depending on what you want) off the table? You're very clear -- and I agree! -- it's obviously not right for you right now and it's causing you distress instead of giving you positives.
Anna2233
not a newbie

Do you think I’ll be safe and not pregnant? Please I need to know I’m worried
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Again, we will not engage in pregnancy scares in that way with anyone here, as I made clear earlier in this thread. We have very clear policies on that and we need everyone to please respect them and our limits with this.

I *would* be glad to talk with you about how to say no to sex that scares you or you otherwise don't want so that once you get through this crisis, you don't have to find yourself in this spot again.
Anna2233
not a newbie

How effective is the depo shot after it’s been 3 weeks on it?
Anna2233
not a newbie

If we put the condom on inside out and then flip it back to normal and wiped any of the precum if it was there off, is there a possibility of pregnancy?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Here's information on site for you about Depo, including when it's fully effective after you get it: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... po_provera

Here's information on the site about that mistake with condoms: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_ ... ondom_oops

I still think the most productive and helpful conversation we could have here, though, is to talk about how to say no to sex that doesn't feel right for you or that you don't feel ready for. Especially since if condoms are going on wrong like that, sometimes it's because no one is taking their time to even really seek and negotiate consent or anything else -- because someone is in way too big a hurry for sex that really is right for everyone to be likely to happen. :(
Anna2233
not a newbie

How many people have gotten pregnant on depo Shot, specifically Sayana Press?
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Anna,

I think the clinical trial outcomes are not public however from what we know it's one of the most effective methods. The information already shared about the injection (sayana press, is just another of these) is as deep as we can go.

Would you be willing to have a conversation about this stuff heather raised:
I still think the most productive and helpful conversation we could have here, though, is to talk about how to say no to sex that doesn't feel right for you or that you don't feel ready for. Especially since if condoms are going on wrong like that, sometimes it's because no one is taking their time to even really seek and negotiate consent or anything else -- because someone is in way too big a hurry for sex that really is right for everyone to be likely to happen. :(
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Anna2233
not a newbie

I’m not having sex again, I’m just trying to ensure I’m not pregnant now. How long should I wait to do a pregnancy test after sex? I do not get my periods so I can’t base it off of that
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Usually it's 2 weeks since the last time you had sex... but the packaging on your specific test will be more specific.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Anna2233
not a newbie

So if I took a first response pregnancy test 2 weeks after sex and it was negative. Am I good?
Anna2233
not a newbie

Also does AZO urinary track defense medicine affect the depo shot effectiveness?
Anna2233
not a newbie

Can a uti interfere with pregnancy results?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

You can read about what things do (and do not) effect birth control in this article: Something You Can Worry About Less: Interference and Hormonal Birth Control.

Since we're not going to engage in reassurance seeking (since it ultimately keeps you trapped in an anxiety loop), what we can discuss is whether it's those same fears from before that are making you doubt the pregnancy test. Too, since you say you're not planning on having sex again any time soon, have you had that conversation and set that limit with your partner?
Anna2233
not a newbie

I have discussed this, I’m simply asking when can you be positive in a result? 2 weeks after sex or later?
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

That depends on the type of test you took and what level of hCG (the "pregnancy hormone") it can detect. You can read more about that here: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests. As long as you take the test according you the directions about when and how to test, you can assume the result is accurate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic