Condoms

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
VeryCurious
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm not afraid to ask questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Condoms

Unread post by VeryCurious »

Okay, so I didn't get it confirmed by a doctor but I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to latex so I bought non latex condoms. I thought they worked great! But now my bf(who I have been dating for a year now) says that they hurt. We bought SKYN non latex condoms and neither one of us had any type of reaction the 1st time but the 2nd time he said it hurt really bad. We actually stopped because it caused him such discomfort. I get a shot every 3months so I dont get pregnant and we use condoms as a back up and becuz it creates less of a mess. Latex condoms make me get an infection and now it seems like non latex condoms cause severe discomfort for my boyfriend. Any suggestions?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Condoms

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi VeryCurious,

Backing up with condoms is something we recommend even when folks are on another form of birth control, so let's see if we can find a way for you to keep that up. One option would be to try another brand of non-latex condoms, in case there's something about the SKYN ones specifically that's the culprit. Another option would be the internal, AKA female, condom for you. Have you ever heard of those, and if so are they something you and he would be up for trying?
VeryCurious

"Female" condoms so to speak make me super nervous! I went awhile without using a condom becuz everytime I did, I would get some type of infection. I seem to have a lot of allergies it seems tbh I have super sensitive skin and I thought female condoms weren't as effective?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Do you want to talk about why they make you nervous? Is it just about effectiveness issues (which aren't actually an issue: currently, they're just as effective as external condoms are), or is there more?

That said, is your boyfriend using a little lube inside the condom? If he isn't, that's probably why they hurt (and any kind of condom often won't feel good after a while when the wearer doesn't have a little lube inside -- IMO, I think it's one of the top reasons people who say condoms are uncomfortable do, because they don't know to put lube in there), and likely what can change that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
VeryCurious

I'm curious abt how effective female condoms are, and lube actually stresses me out because it's messy and I hate 5he way it smells.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

They're just as effective as the other kind! :)

For sure, lube can get messy, but tbh, no messier than it is to have the right amount of lubrication bodies need when they're making it themselves. And no messier than the kinds of sex where lube is needed or fluids are involved get, period.

But between that issue and the scent you're complaining about, there may be some easy fixes. For instance, using lubes that come in -- or that you put in -- pump containers instead of the kind you pour can help to avoid any mess. IMHO, it's usually the kind you pour out that wind up all over the place, in places you don't actually want the lube to go.

And not all lubricants have a scent in the first place: have you been able to really try a decent range of lubricants (and not just the usual two or three brands drugstores and such carry, which usually aren't the top quality lubes)?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Bluenikuli
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I can make my hand into a person...
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: IDEK XD

Unread post by Bluenikuli »

Idk if I’m allowed to speak here but water based lubes are super mess free and have no smell. :)
Alice M
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: my boundaries
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bi/pan

Unread post by Alice M »

Bluenikuli, yes, this is the user-to-staff section only, which means staff and original poster comments only. Thanks!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic