Not sure what's going on

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Teen0321
Awesomeness Quotient: Hair
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Not sure what's going on

Unread post by Teen0321 »

I'm 23. I have been on birth control for many years. Never miss a pill. I had sex with a guy using the withdrawal method because of my birth control. Last time was November 21. I was expecting my period the next week around the 26th but it never came. I chalked it up to stress because I just started a brand new job and then my relationship with this guy also ended prior to the missed period. On December 6, 20 and 29 I had negative home urine pregnancy tests. Around the time of my next cycle (around Christmas) I had some minor spotting but no period. This week I had some cramping and bleeding for one day, but still no period. My OB hasn't really returned my phone calls and had me just keep an already scheduled appointment at the end of this month. I know the tests are highly accurate and birth control is highly effective, but I can't seem to shake the anxiety of a potential pregnancy. It's not very likely, right? What can I do?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Not sure what's going on

Unread post by Heather »

Welcome to the boards!

I'm not sure what you mean by this: "I had sex with a guy using the withdrawal method because of my birth control." Why did the guy need to use the withdrawal method? One reason I ask that is when you ask what you can do, it seems to me that one thing you could do is have partners use condoms, which are more effective and reliable than withdrawal (and also provide important STI protection only condoms can), and which might leave you less worried in the future.

We won't and can't engage with pregnancy scares, and a big reason why is because there really isn't anything to do but what you have already done. You already took tests that made clear you aren't pregnant, so all you can do from here is work on accepting that reality. It is normal to skip periods or withdrawal bleeds now and again like this: it's something that'll probably happen more than once in your life.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic