Side effects of the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
TessaQueen
Awesomeness Quotient: Tenacious
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Side effects of the pill

Unread post by TessaQueen »

Hey there,

So I'm still very new to the pill. I'm just about to complete my second month. The first month was OK, experienced sore boob's and got my period within the time period 4 days into the inactive pills. Symptoms were mild and bearable.

On this second month however I've begun to experience symptoms I didn't on the first month. This second month I've had more bloating, upset stomach, mood swings, nausea, sensitive nipples and sore boob's, etc. There were days building up to my period that every time I ate I didn't feel so great. Once I got my period, on the 3rd day of the inactive pills, the blood was brown. The next day it returned to a normal red, but the period has gotten lighter very quickly, so by day 4 of my bleeding I've barely seen any bleeding.

I admit I've had unprotected sex with my boyfriend, however even when we've done such things we've used the pull out method. Most other times we've used a condom. So while I'm a little nervous, I know the chances of me being pregnant are slim. I even went to my doctor and asked her about these things and she said it was normal.

My real question is after a little backstory, is what are some irregular and regular symptoms one might experience in their first months of the pill? The sensitive nipples symptom is one not listed but one I'm experiencing.

Thankyou
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: Side effects of the pill

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Tessa,

Welcome to Scarleteen! If your doctor has said that these things are due to your pill, then that sounds about right!

That said, if you are unhappy with experiencing these side effects, it could be worth trying other options.

There is more information about birth control options here:

Birth Control Bingo!

I'll also add that the placebo week of using the combination pill, you will not be having 'periods' per se. It is actually a different type of bleeding which occurs due to stopping the hormones for a few days. It's just the body experiencing withdrawal, so it doesn't feel like your usual periods because it isn't one!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
TessaQueen
Awesomeness Quotient: Tenacious
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by TessaQueen »

All good then. I was worrying because when I wasn't taking the pill, my side effects didn't feel like they are now. My cramps felt weird and I had never really experienced nausea. I'll keep in mind that it might take another month for me to regulate any symptoms or cycles.
On the plus side my doctor gave me a different pill to try for the next month so hopefully this new brand will lessen some symptoms. I have an app to help me keep track of these things, I'll just have to keel an eye on myself.

Thanks for the reassurance though that this kind of stuff is normal. X
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

You're welcome!

I hope that this new brand is a better fit for you. If you're switching pills, it's worth remembering that your body might take a few months to adjust to this one, before you really know what your new "normal" is like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic