Why do I have Anxiety?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Nak1
not a newbie
Pronouns: He/him

Why do I have Anxiety?

Unread post by Nak1 »

Hi there,

I am a 19 year old male and I’m confused why I am having anxieties over scares that I know cannot logically cause a pregnancy. For example, last week I was fingering my girlfriend when I had pants and underwear on and I keep making up this situation in my head that my fly was Down and my penis popped out and that rubbed against her vagina, but she and I don’t have any recollection of such a thing happening. I feel like I’m going crazy with my mind playing tricks on me like this and I know such a situation didn’t happen and couldn’t cause a pregnancy but why am I still scared?
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Why do I have Anxiety?

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Nak1

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with anxiety. It's hard when we're worried about things our logical brain know don't make sense. Do you get these feelings of anxiety more generally? Have you sought out any support for it?
Nak1
not a newbie

Unread post by Nak1 »

I have seen a counselor and I thought I had been making progress, as I had been able to enjoy these safe practices without anxiety, but now it’s creeping back in and making me miserable
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Nak1,

I'm sorry to hear these anxieties seem to be increasing. Since your currently seeing a counselor, have you brought this most recent uptick in pregnancy anxiety up with them? Too, if you've brought these fears up in the past with your counselor, have you two discussed any tools or techniques you can use when these fears arise?
Nak1
not a newbie

Unread post by Nak1 »

This latest anxiety just happened and I have not had time to see the counselor yet. We haven’t discussed coping strategies a lot but rather looking at what can actually cause a pregnancy to prevent the anxieties from arising.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Often it's not helpful to anxiety to keep thinking about and soaking in the topic that is giving you anxiety. There's a kind of therapy that does that, but that's done within pretty specific ways and constraints and with a therapist.

On your own, distractions often tend to work better, and nOT taking part in what triggers it if you can help it. So, until you can see that therapist, my best advice would be to take a pass on anything sexual that you know cues these worries and also put your focus on everything BUT the topic of reproduction. Can you do that?

You also should be able to call your counselor by phone and ask for extra help if you need it.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Nak1
not a newbie

Unread post by Nak1 »

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a good game plan for now I really appreciate it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic