Masturbation

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
imstrugglinglol
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Masturbation

Unread post by imstrugglinglol »

I never really thought I’d result to this but here goes.
I’m 15 years old and I have only started to try masturbating since around 5 or 6 months ago. I tried to masturbate when I was both 13 and 14 and I didn’t feel anything. Furthermore, I usually depend on Clitoris Stimulation’s to be able to experience orgasms, but I’m not really sure what it’s supposed to feel like. I’ve read that it’s supposed to feel like “sunshine and rainbows” when you relax and yet I’m not really sure if that’s what I’m experiencing. My first question is, how do I know when I’m orgasming?
When I masturbate I usually apply pressure to my clit but when I tried today, it sort of felt like it was burning?(I’m not sure if that makes sense, sorry :/), the feeling has passed now. Is this normal? This is actually not the first time this has happened.
My last question is, Is there a way for me to know if I’m aroused? If so, how do I get aroused? I’m really new to this so any help is appreciated.
Thank you <3
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Masturbation

Unread post by Heather »

Sunshine and rainbows is certainly a tall bill for simply stimulating a body part that has a bunch of nerve endings in it! I'm not sure who told you that one, but I think you may need to adjust your expectations. :)

Orgasm is a brief -- like, a few seconds -- involuntary event of the central nervous system. How it feels can vary a good deal not just from person to person, but also from orgasm to orgasm, but one way to describe it that's fairly universal is that it can feel a bit like a big sneeze if a big sneeze had more of a whole body impact and felt sexy. A way one of my favorite sex educators of all times described it for children was that it can feel a whole lot like when you have had to pee, and have held it in for a long time, and then finally get to go.

How you know when it's happening is usually something you figure out after it happening at least a bunch of times - then you'll have a sense of what it can feel like for you to know when it's happening for you. Again, like a sneeze: you learned when you were sneezing by what happened with it and what it felt like.

When it comes to when you feel aroused, that's also pretty individual, but generally, when people feel sexually aroused, they feel a desire to be sexual or to keep being sexual if some kind of sexual activity has already started. Here's some more information that can tell you more about both arousal and orgasm: Sexual Response & Orgasm: A Users Guide.

I can't speak to that feeling of burning, or if it's normal or okay. That's just pretty vague, you know? But since it also wasn't a feeling that lasted, it certainly doesn't sound like anything you need to be concerned about.

You might also find this piece about masturbation helpful: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... sturbation
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
imstrugglinglol
Pronouns: she
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by imstrugglinglol »

Heather wrote:Sunshine and rainbows is certainly a tall bill for simply stimulating a body part that has a bunch of nerve endings in it! I'm not sure who told you that one, but I think you may need to adjust your expectations. :)

Orgasm is a brief -- like, a few seconds -- involuntary event of the central nervous system. How it feels can vary a good deal not just from person to person, but also from orgasm to orgasm, but one way to describe it that's fairly universal is that it can feel a bit like a big sneeze if a big sneeze had more of a whole body impact and felt sexy. A way one of my favorite sex educators of all times described it for children was that it can feel a whole lot like when you have had to pee, and have held it in for a long time, and then finally get to go.

How you know when it's happening is usually something you figure out after it happening at least a bunch of times - then you'll have a sense of what it can feel like for you to know when it's happening for you. Again, like a sneeze: you learned when you were sneezing by what happened with it and what it felt like.

When it comes to when you feel aroused, that's also pretty individual, but generally, when people feel sexually aroused, they feel a desire to be sexual or to keep being sexual if some kind of sexual activity has already started. Here's some more information that can tell you more about both arousal and orgasm: Sexual Response & Orgasm: A Users Guide.

I can't speak to that feeling of burning, or if it's normal or okay. That's just pretty vague, you know? But since it also wasn't a feeling that lasted, it certainly doesn't sound like anything you need to be concerned about.

You might also find this piece about masturbation helpful: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodie ... sturbation
Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it. I don’t think I’ve experienced a proper orgasm yet but through the websites you’ve given me I’m sure I can figure it out. Thanks again!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

You're welcome.

Orgasm can happen without people feeling super-turned on and into whatever is going on sexually, but just know that it usually doesn't. Most often it only happens when people are very aroused and things are feeling really good. When it does happen without one or both of those things, it is more often mild, so that it might not even feel like more than a meh-blip. It sounds like it either hasn't happened for you yet, or has just been super-mild, which isn't surprising if you don't feel like you're sure you've been aroused.

Remember that orgasm, all by itself, isn't actually any big whoop. Again, it only lasts a few seconds and is pretty notoriously overhyped. On the other hand, if what you're doing for minutes or more -- whatever it is -- feels great throughout, and makes us feel very excited (read: aroused), that's usually where people find more satisfaction. The good news is that focusing on just exploring what feels good for you and on discovering where you experience pleasure both makes orgasm more likely, but more importantly, it makes you finding what satisfies you more likely so that even when orgasm doesn't happen, you'll usually still have enjoyed yourself. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic