Pregnancy from sex before Nexplanon removal?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Calypso
not a newbie

Pregnancy from sex before Nexplanon removal?

Unread post by Calypso »

Hi -- I had my first Nexplanon removed yesterday and it cannot be reinserted until Monday (insurance issues). I had sex a couple of days prior to the removal and my doctor said nothing about having had to abstain etc. although there was going to be a gap in protection. I didn't think to ask about sex BEFORE the removal being an issue until much after the appointment, and have been unable to reach her.

I did take Plan B this morning, on the off-chance I started to ovulate right away, but that seems unlikely. My thinking is that I am safe as long as I abstain or use other protection from now until 7 days after insertion of the new implant.... so my questions are: am I right in thinking this? Do the hormones from the implant stay in your body for a bit or not? Did my taking the Plan B get rid of any possible likelihood of pregnancy?

Will keep trying to reach my doc, but wanted to check. Thanks.
Robin
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual/queer, in a complicated sort of way

Re: Pregnancy from sex before Nexplanon removal?

Unread post by Robin »

Hi Calypso,

For a lot of reasons, we don't answer questions about whether someone could or couldn't be pregnant.

Here are our
Pregnancy Scare Resources.

I hope you can get ahold of your doc to get your question answered. Know that most healthcare providers have someone who can answer patient questions, such as a nurse or medical assistant. If anyone is picking up at your doctor's office, you can tell them that you are Dr. So-and-So's patient and that you have a quick question, and ask if you can talk to a nurse or assistant.
Meantime, here's some info on the implant that might help you answer this question:

the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic