Age consent and living in different states

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
solareclipse94
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Pansexual
Location: in a house, on a road, in a town, in a state, in a country, on Earth

Age consent and living in different states

Unread post by solareclipse94 »

So my question is, if someone that I have been talking to lives in a state where you have to be at least 18 in order to give consent and I live in a state where you have to be at least 16 to give consent. But what I'm wondering if that person were to visit me, would they be able to give consent to having intercourse even if they don't live in the same state that I do?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Age consent and living in different states

Unread post by al »

Hi solareclipse,

Consent laws (and really most laws that vary state-to-state) are dependent on the state that you're currently occupying rather than the state you live in, work in, etc. So if someone who was 16 came to visit you in your state, they would be able to legally consent to sexual activity even if they couldn't at home. Just like, conversely, someone couldn't carry a gun into a restaurant in California just because they're from Texas, which is an open-carry state.

I'm glad that you're taking the time to think about this stuff! While we're on the topic of age and consent and sexuality, it's important to note that if you're communicating with someone online, via text, or via social media, there are laws that prohibit owning or sending someone sexual images or content that involves someone under 18, even if they're selfies sent willingly, or to someone else who's under 18. So that's another thing to keep in mind!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
solareclipse94
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Pansexual
Location: in a house, on a road, in a town, in a state, in a country, on Earth

Re: Age consent and living in different states

Unread post by solareclipse94 »

Hello al,
Thank you for the reply. The person I'm talking to, I'm texting him through social media.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic