STI transmission

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
roxfoxreal
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a lot of love to give :)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

STI transmission

Unread post by roxfoxreal »

Hey all! I know that, ideally, you should know if your sexual partner has an STI but I’m worried about getting an STI from just kissing or touching. I think some STI’s can be transmitted via skin to skin contact or through bodily fluids, so wouldn’t saliva count as that? Like I’m not sure if I was at a party and wanted to make out with someone that I would ask their sexual history you know? If I planned on sleeping with them, yes but otherwise I think I’d probably not. Could I get STI’s from just kissing and touching???
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: STI transmission

Unread post by al »

Hi roxfox,

Good question! There are certain STIs that may be spread from person to person through skin-to-skin contact - HSV 1 and 2, HPV/genital warts, pubic lice, - and HSV 1 can also be spread through kissing/saliva as an oral infection.
(Check out Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That? for a detailed breakdown).
But, this is a lot lower risk relative to something where sexual fluids are involved (like oral, anal, or vaginal sex). So if you just met someone at a party and you wanted to kiss and/or touch them with clothes on, your risk would be very little in terms of exposing yourself to STIs. (Although you can potentially catch a cold/flu/virus from exposure to someone else's saliva, most people tend to call that risk worth it!)
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
roxfoxreal
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a lot of love to give :)
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Unread post by roxfoxreal »

Thank you! I’ll be sure to read that article. That definetly makes me feel a lot more at ease :)
Robin
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual/queer, in a complicated sort of way

Unread post by Robin »

Great. :)

If you have questions or stuf you want to discuss b after reading the article, come on back. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic