Birth Control/ Condoms

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
spotteddog
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My eyes change color
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Birth Control/ Condoms

Unread post by spotteddog »

Hello,
I have been sexually active about a year, but I’m not on birth control. I want to be, but my mom rejects it anytime I bring it up. My older sister has been on it for a while to control her periods, but she won’t put me on it (my sister is lesbian, I’m straight so..). I have irregular periods myself, so everytime I have sex I start freaking out thinking I’m going to be a teen mom. I don’t have sex very often because of this, maybe once a month or so, but it’s enough to cause me soooo much anxiety. Would I actually be okay if I just stick to using condoms? Would that actually be effective enough to prevent me from pregnancy? My mom said she “worked very hard” not to get pregnant as a teen, and I know girls having sex without birth control or condoms (just pull out) that have been doing fine for a while. What would you recommend I do?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Birth Control/ Condoms

Unread post by Heather »

Chances are good you can access most birth control methods without your parent's permission or help. By all means, condoms, used properly, can work very effectively as a single method. However, dual contraception (using two methods, like condoms + a patch) works even better, and more to the point, you clearly would prefer having a second method.

So, want to talk about your options in seeking out BC for yourself?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic