How do I come out to everyone?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Mikalahm
Awesomeness Quotient: My hair
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Homoflexible

How do I come out to everyone?

Unread post by Mikalahm »

Now what I'm about to say with my age in all is going to seem like I can't know what I'm talking about.
Hi I'm mikalah and I'm 13 and I know my sexuality I do but I'm afraid to come out to everyone because I don't want them to think any differently about me. I'm bisexual and afraid of people with bi phobia. It scares the hell out of me entirely. I've already came out to a few close friends but that's it. And I'm just scared for my whole world to change please help me.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: How do I come out to everyone?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Mikalahm,

It sounds like you very much know what you're talking about, both in terms of your identity and in terms of what things you're worried about in terms of coming out.

A starting place, one that might help this feel less like a giant, overwhelming task, is to decide on who it's most important to you to come out to next. For instance, do you have family members you want to know? Other friends? Would it be helpful for you to have some tools to deal with biphobia or other negative reactions if they do happen so that you can feel a little more prepared?

One of the tricky things about coming out is that it's sort of a life-long process. There will be new people and new social spaces in your life as you move through it, and you'll get to decide each time if you want to come out to them. On the one hand, that can feel kind of disappointing, because there will never be a point where you're done coming out. But, it also carries the really positive aspect of taking some of the pressure off of you to feel like you have to come out to everyone all at once. Does that make sense?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic