Relentless bleeding and cramps on IUD affecting relationship

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Taylor_twinkle
Awesomeness Quotient: I study fine art
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cis/Hetero

Relentless bleeding and cramps on IUD affecting relationship

Unread post by Taylor_twinkle »

Hey,
So I’ve got some questions regarding my IUD.
For the past 3-4 years I’ve been on a journey with BC for heavy bleeding and cramps, starting with the combo pill being switch to the Mini pill due to my mum having a blood clot as a teen. This pill caused me bleeding that lasted for 2-3 week every month for 6 months I then switched to the Injection which was perfect for 9 months till I had random out of the blue tsunami style bleeding at the end of those 9 months causing me to switch to BC pills again but Mini ones where I tried 2 more 3 months on each and it still had the same effect of 2-3 week long periods.
I stopped taking the pill three weeks then started again just to get some relief from bleeding which worked I had no bleeding for those 3 weeks when not taking the BC pill it was great for myself and my partner who I’ve been with for 2 years.
Also found taking two pills at the same time of day everyday also stopped the bleeding, but it just wasn’t manageable.
I have had a uterine scan which came back clear but showed signs of ovulation and also an iron test due to all the bleeding to find out I am anemic from the blood less but doctors didn’t prescribe anymore than a months worth of iron tablets as a one off treatment.
So finally about 4 weeks ago I had the IUD Kyleena fitted, promise of a cycle or possibly no periods at all however I had an terrible experience.
Codeine,Paracetamol and Ibuprofen did nothing for the pain in the first 15 hours after fitting I also ended up in urgent care the morning after because of the pain where I got Naproxen and also got given antibiotics incase I had an infection which eventually gave me thrush.
Anyway, with the relentless cramps and constant painkiller popping, I need some relief from the bleeding and I need to know if I can take my mini pill with my IUD to help with it, after this long it’s fair to say the bleeding is making me severely depressed and heavily effecting my life.
Alice M
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: my boundaries
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bi/pan

Re: Relentless bleeding and cramps on IUD affecting relationship

Unread post by Alice M »

Hi Taylor_twinkle. I'm so sorry to hear that you're been dealing with all this, and that it's affecting your life so negatively. I'm glad you sought medical care when it become too much.

Have you talked to your doctor (the one who inserted the IUD, or a different doctor) about your interest in combining the pill with the IUD? This is something you'd want to have prescribed by a doctor, we cannot advise you to decide to take prescription medication on your own. It sounds like the bleeding is really negatively impacting your life, so telling your doctor that as soon as possible, and asking specific questions as well as asking if there's anything they can do for you, would be a good start.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic