Is light bleeding after an EC normal?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
andraste
Awesomeness Quotient: I really love to learn
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Is light bleeding after an EC normal?

Unread post by andraste »

Two days ago, my boyfriend had finished on my chest, and I had later gone to wash it off in the shower. However, I was worried about semen dripping downwards with the water and that drove me to get an EC (brand name Escapelle). Since then I've had some extremely light cramps, and my vaginal discharge seems unusually thick and pink, bordering on red. I cannot seem to find any information about this on its official website and just wanted to check if these were reasons for concern. Thank you.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Is light bleeding after an EC normal?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi andraste,

Yes, unexplained or irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting is a common side effect of emergency contraception. You can read more about EC here: Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

It sounds like you may also want to read up on ways pregnancy can, and cannot, occur. This article is useful for doing that (and if you don't see a specific scenario listed, that's because that scenario cannot result in pregnancy): Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic