Birth control pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Notmyname
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I try
Primary language: English
Pronouns: Her

Birth control pill

Unread post by Notmyname »

I am trying to find the right bc pill for me. I was on one and it made me feel terrible... so I stopped taking it and within 3 days had the normal hormonal bleed. I wanted to try a new pill as soon as I had first real period.... which I did 2 1/2 weeks later. I started a new pill the Sunday after I finished my period and within a week, I began bleeding again. Can someone tell me if this is normal?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Birth control pill

Unread post by Mo »

Some bleeding/spotting is pretty normal when taking birth control pills, and it can be more likely when you're first starting or if you switch brands. So, what you're describing here doesn't sound unusual at all! Hopefully you'll feel better on this new brand, and you'll notice that the bleeding calms down a bit too. :)
Notmyname
not a newbie

Thanks so much! I feel great but the bleed is an annoyance. Much appreciated. Thank you!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I assume that you told your prescribing physician about it and this is why they switched your pill for you?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Notmyname
not a newbie

Yes and my mom is aware. I was put on it for extremely heavy period. Not irregular but heavy
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Okay. So, just keep that physician in the loop about the bleeding you're having. Like Mo said, this probably is to do with starting and stopping and switching all in such a short time, but I would log it anyway. That way, if it continues to be an issue a few packs from now, your doctor/clinician can have more information to work with to do their best to find the right pill for you when it comes to this side effect (if it is one at all).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Notmyname
not a newbie

Thank you
Notmyname
not a newbie

One more question...
I came off the birth control, had a withdrawal bleed 3 days later. 2 1/2 weeks later I had a normal bleed... since this happened while off the pill, would you consider this a real period? It was 4 days long and in the heavy side. I would think that not having birth control in my system, that this would be a real period. Do you think that is correct?
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I don't think we could possibly know or tell the difference in this case, but I also don't know that it matters in any real way. There's nothing a withdrawal bleed tells you vs. a "real" menstrual period, nor is there anything different you need to do for one versus the other, you know?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic