I need help with the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Beca_cps
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: my way of thinking
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

I need help with the pill

Unread post by Beca_cps »

So I’ve been wanting to get on the pill for a while now, maybe two to three months, I have not had any genital sex yet with my boyfriend but I know sooner or later we will, the thing is that I wouldn’t want my mom to know anything, as I am 18 I understand I can have full privacy but I wouldn’t want the doctors office calling home to confirm the appointment or anything like that. I don’t want my mom to know at all that I am having sex or planning on having sex because I know she won’t like that at all.. Also if there’s any tips that someone wants to give me or anything on hiding the pill taking process from my mom that’d be great! Thank you guys for reading me <3
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: I need help with the pill

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey Beca_cps,

Welcome to the boards! :)

I would suggest that you give the doctor's office a call and let them know what forms of contact will work for you. This shouldn't be anything new to them--since health information is quite personal, plenty of people want to make sure their communications with the doctor/doctor's office remain private. For example, you could ask them to text or email you to confirm the appointment rather than calling. How does that sound?

In terms of privacy with your birth control, one benefit to the IUD is that it is very easy to keep private. Once inserted into the uterus, it lasts for 3-10 years. There is no way to tell if someone has one, and there is no daily upkeep. Here's a bit more info: Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS). Given that keeping your birth control private is a top priority for you, this might be a good fit. Have you thought about this option, or would you like to learn more? If not, no problem! We can also discuss ways to make the pill taking process more private.
Beca_cps
not a newbie

Thank you so much! Although IUDs sound like the best best choice I’m a little nervous to try it, I’m sure i’ll get to it later in my life because it sounds like a great choice but I think i’ll start with the pill and then move on to IUDs. Thank you for adjuncting the IUD information also you’re so nice <3
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I'm glad the information was helpful! Something you can also try is bringing up any concerns or questions you have about the different options available to you with your healthcare provider so that the two of you can decide on what method to start you on. If you'd like, you can take a look at the full Birth Control Bingo article to see if there are options that work well with your needs (and we're happy to talk about other options as well if you have questions about them): Birth Control Bingo!

I do want to mention that, in terms of not wanting your mom to know, there's no way to guarantee that she won't find out even if you're very careful. So, when deciding when/if you want to be sexually active, one thing to consider is if you're comfortable facing any consequences that might come with your mom finding out. Does that make sense?
Beca_cps
not a newbie

Totally! Than you very much, Im super glad I found this Website it is soso helpful to have you guys clear out question and also reading the articles and different opinions, love it!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome, I'm so glad you're finding the site helpful!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic