A Talk That Needs To Happen

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Music
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I learn well by doing
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

A Talk That Needs To Happen

Unread post by Music »

It's me again as I wander on my path to finding my sexual identity.
Despite my age, economic factors have me living at home with my parents again while I get my college back under control. And I feel like maybe I need to at least tell my mom about what I've been trying to learn about myself. Right now I'm trying to hide things from my vibe, to the articles I read here, to the fact that I have even started to focus my attention in this way at times.

My mom and I have always had a pretty open policy between us (a couple of significant exceptions were all school related), but I just don't know how to go about bringing this up with her.
I should also take the opportunity to clarify to her that I'm ace, now that I think about it, I have no idea if the hints I've been dropping for years have registered. Sigh

So I guess I'm just looking for some advice or pointers for a rather big conversation I need to have that I have no doubt I'll make awkward for myself because anxiety
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: A Talk That Needs To Happen

Unread post by Jacob »

Hello Music!

I think for the sorts of conversation you want to have with your mom there are some useful questions to ask yourself a head of time like:
  • Is there anything you'd like her to do or say differently now that she has new information about you?
  • Are there any expectations you or she have, which you would like to challenge?
  • Are there other things that you want to take away from the conversation?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic