Changing Birth Control Pill Brand

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She

Changing Birth Control Pill Brand

Unread post by 010899 »

I was taking Microlite (100/20 Microgram tablets) for almost 2 years but my doctor decided to put me on to Cilest (250/30 Microgram tablets) because of the bad side effects i had. So switching from one combination pill brand to another. I finished up the packet of microlite then took the 7 day break (when i got my period) and then took the first pill in the Cilest packet straight away on the same day i would usually start a new microlite packet.

I started the packet last tuesday 21st, so ive taken 8 pills so far and had sex today using the withdrawal method and no condom, is there any chance at all that my new pill isnt effective yet or am i worrying over nothing?

My doctor didnt tell me when to start Cilest so i just assumed i take it when i would usually start a new packet. Cant seem to find an answer online, some sites are saying it can take atleast 7 days to be effective, a month or its effective after 48 hours, just a little confused.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Changing Birth Control Pill Brand

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi 010899,

As you are transitioning from one combination pill to another without interruption the effect on your reproductive system is going to be pretty consistent too. I.e. I'm guessing it will have be effective right away... The change in the make up of the pills may feel different in terms of side-effects but the action regarding how they prevent pregnancy is the same.

If you are concerned, you can always add condoms to the equation. As this will always offer further protection!

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

(By the way, I will also ask that you only post questions once. I have removed the other two threads for you.)
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic