Anxious about pregnancy

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
pups2000
Awesomeness Quotient: sports skills
Primary language: English
Pronouns: SHE

Anxious about pregnancy

Unread post by pups2000 »

Hi guys, I'm 17 but I'm getting anxiety over the thought that I could be pregnant-
I'm not sure if I'm pregnant, I have a lot of signs telling me I'm not, e.g regular periods since I started when I was 13 up until now where I'm currently in the middle of a cycle. I have no other pregnancy symptoms apart from nausea but I haven't actually been sick so I guessed it was PMS/I've had stomach cramps and butterfly feelings but again put it down to PMS and this new anxiety.
I've had back pain- but I've had a bad back for a couple of years from the sport I do. And back pain is both in upper and lower back.
Me and my boyfriend use a condom every time but that's the only method of birth-control, as far as I know the condom has never split- but I know there is always a chance it failed. I am now on the implant, but I realise I could've got pregnant before as I only got it a few weeks ago- I'm not sure if some of my symptoms were worsened by this.
I have however had unusual bloating for a couple of months when I first got it I put it down to PMS, but its continued for a while this is the main reason I think I'm pregnant sometimes I guess it looks a bit like a baby bump, but I cant work out if that's all in my head. Being very sporty I always had a flat stomach but now I don't, although tbh I don't even know if it is bloating as I've heard bloating is hard, but when you push my abdomen its soft and squishy-Is this what a pregnancy bump is like? Also I've read you can feel the top of the uterus above the pubic bone- do you know how many weeks you start to feel this from as I have no clue how far along I am because of the regular bleeding.

I know I have had monthly bleeding, but I've read that you can bleed monthly and still be pregnant- how common is this- is it anything like a period, e.g does pregnancy bleeding just come at anytime, rather than on a cycle like a period does?? Is there any physical difference in the way the blood looks colour/consistency?? How’s long does pregnancy bleeding last e.g 5-7 days like a period or does it vary??
Or are thy just exactly the same?
(I don’t mean spotting I mean physical bleeding during pregnancy- as I know some women have been pregnant and mistaken it for a period ??)
I hope they are my periods as they don't seem different to usual and they come regularly. It doesn't help my anxiety that I've heard of women having Phantom pregnancies when they bleed every month and then suddenly go into labour. What are the chances that bleeding every month while you are pregnant come at exactly the right time (according to my period predicter app) and they are the same length as a normal period.

The issue with me is, I'm not afraid or scared to be pregnant, as I know how I would get a termination. What I am scared of is not knowing I'm pregnant, then being to far along to have a termination.

Would you get to 24 weeks and not know you're pregnant, is this common?

From the days I've has intercourse I could be 27 wks, 23 wks (but I would've thought its likely that I would know at this time?), 12 wks, 2 wks or 1 week. I realise if its the last two I will have to wait to test.

As I was worried about all my symptoms I went to the GP, she took a urine test and has ruled out pregnancy, I have taken 6 at home pregnancy tests and all have come back negative. But again I worry as there have been women that just have naturally low levels of hcg and so no one has realised they're pregnant.

How common is it that I would have regular period bleeding 7 negative pregnancy tests and still be pregnant.
I'm so filled with anxiety, I'm so sorry this post is long and has so many questions but id be grateful for any reassurance and advice as I really don't know what to do.
Thanks so much
x
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Anxious about pregnancy

Unread post by Sam W »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic