Chances of semen leaking from a condom?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dukenukhem
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm pretty fun to be around
Primary language: English
Pronouns: He/Him
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Chances of semen leaking from a condom?

Unread post by dukenukhem »

I was curious as to the chances of semen leaking from a condom during intercourse. I find condoms a bit tight (I have to wear magnums for this reason and they are still tight), so much so that my penis loses blood flow and turns a bit purple!! Since the condom is tighter at the base than it would be on someone who didn't have this issue occur, are the chances of semen leaking from the sides of the condom less? Greater?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Chances of semen leaking from a condom?

Unread post by al »

Hi there dukenukhem, and welcome to Scarleteen!

It's definitely possible for semen to leak out the sides of the condom if it doesn't fit properly - although we tend to hear that happening more frequently when folks don't leave room at the tip for ejaculate when they're rolling it on. If you're still experiencing loss of blood flow when you're using Magnums, it's a sign that the condom isn't fitting properly, and you might need to look into other options. What we tend to be concerned about with tight condoms is the increased risk of breakage; a tighter fit means the latex is being stretched more and may have less structural integrity when combined with friction.

Have you tried experimenting with different types of larger condoms? Almost every major condom brand offers a larger size condom (Trustex, Durex, Kimono) - I believe ONE even has custom condoms that you can order with your own measurements! (Technology these days, am I right?)
Have you ever tried using internal (female) condoms with a partner? Because it acts as a barrier inside of the vagina/anus rather than around the penis, there's much less likelihood of users having issues with fit and/or tightness. The female condom is one of my personal favorite barrier methods because it really is a one-size-fits-all type of barrier that's still effective against pregnancy and STI transmission. You can read more about both types of condoms and their effectiveness over Condom Basics: A User's Manual!
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic