Condoms

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Wonga
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Condoms

Unread post by Wonga »

Hi,
May I know is there any case that people used condoms properly without any rip, tear, slip off and even combined with withdrawal method to make sure there is no ejaculate near the vagina, but still get pregnant from these? Like any case happen from these methods? And may I know if the condoms rip will it be a very obvious or can go unnoticed? Thank you
Chloé
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm doing what I want with my life, finally.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Condoms

Unread post by Chloé »

Hi Wonga, when a condom gets a rip, tear, or hole, it is very noticeable, just like it is obvious when this happens to a balloon.

The typical effectiveness rate for condoms plus withdrawal is 96.2%. This means that for people using these two methods over a year, less than 4 out of 100 will become pregnant, or in other words more than 96 out of 100 will not become pregnant. You can read more about that here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method.

How are you feeling about your current birth control methods? Would you like to discuss them?
Wonga
not a newbie

Unread post by Wonga »

Hi Corey,
Thank you for the reply. Because condom will be the only birth control that I can access for now, because I don't want to have hormonal birth control as I dun want to mess up my cycle. But somehow I dun feel enough secure for condoms plus withdrawal method, like does it mean even people use it correctly for everytime but still could get pregnant? Because I have seen some said that condoms never break, rip or slip off but still gotten pregnant from it
Chloé
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Chloé »

Hi Wonga,

If you are not comfortable with the risk of pregnancy with condoms and withdrawal, then I can only recommend that you do not do any activities that pose a risk of pregnancy, until something changes such as getting a method of birth control that you are comfortable with.

Do you have access to any other methods of birth control other than condoms and hormonal birth control (and which hormonal methods)? Would you like some information about how hormonal birth control might affect your cycle?
Wonga
not a newbie

Unread post by Wonga »

Hi Corey,
I have seen the page from scarleteen for birth control method, but I felt like I can only deal with condom and non hormonal method. But even for perfect use, there will be no 100% guarantee of pregnancy. Is that mean even in perfect use people will still get pregnant in 1 year of usage?
And there is one thing that make me confuse about implantation bleeding or menstruation, is there any link that I can knowledge myself for implantation bleeding? I just want to know the difference or timing for it so that I wont get anxious if I have spotting before my period? Thank you so much Corey
Chloé
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Chloé »

Wonga wrote:But even for perfect use, there will be no 100% guarantee of pregnancy. Is that mean even in perfect use people will still get pregnant in 1 year of usage?
Yes, that's exactly what that means. However some methods, such as the IUD, can be as effective as 99.9% in perfect use and 99.2% in typical use. That means that less than one person becomes pregnant out of every 100 who use that method. Or to look at it another way, between 1 and 8 people out of every 1000.

If you're looking at those effectiveness rates and even 99.9% effectiveness is not acceptable to you, then it really is time to ask yourself if sex is something you're comfortable having. Especially considering that you are using condoms and withdrawal, which has the effectiveness rate of 96.2%.

Have you seen Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist? How about you take a look at it as a starting point to figuring out if you're comfortable having sex right now? Then you can come back here and we can talk about the article, if you'd like.
Wonga
not a newbie

Unread post by Wonga »

Thank you Corey, I will view that article. But do you mind if I ask how is it possible when condom protected perfectly and without any pre ejaculate or ejaculate near vagina but still can create pregnancy? How the 4% happen when it has been used perfectly? So sorry I have not been educated well in all these, thank you Corey
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Sam W »

That rate Corey gave you is with typical use, meaning that it includes instances where the method was used incorrectly or not used during all contact it needed to be used for, which decreases the overall effectiveness. It's also important to remember that effectiveness is calculated over a year of use, not a single instance.
Wonga
not a newbie

Unread post by Wonga »

Thank you Sam, may I know how about for condom itself? With perfect use condom is around 98%? Then how about the 2% in perfect use? May I know how this 2% come about when theres no pre ejaculate or ejaculate near vagina? Thank you
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Sam W »

The basic answer is that, even when the user does everything right the condom might, very rarely, fail. You can read more about that in this article: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advic ... eally_work
Chloé
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Chloé »

Hi Wonga, have you had a chance to read that article yet? Would you like to discuss it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic