Regular period of withdrawal bleed?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
ReliableLake
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Regular period of withdrawal bleed?

Unread post by ReliableLake »

I'm sure no one can tell me 100% but I still wanted to ask.
So basically I've been on my combo pills for almost 2 years and decided to try the Nuva Ring. Long story short I quickly found out I didn't like it.

I finished my pack of pills and had my regular withdrawl bleed. I started the ring last Friday (July 6) which would be the day I normally start a new pack of pills. I couldn't stand the ring so I took it out the next day (July 7). Yesterday I got my period. Is this technically another withdrawal bleed or is it an actual period? I believe it's a withdrawal bleed but I'm surprised I got one after only having the Nuva Ring in for a day.
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Regular period of withdrawal bleed?

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey ReliableLake,

Yes, I also think it is a withdrawal bleed. I think I am understanding correctly that you went straight from the fourth week of your pill (withdrawal bleed) to the first day of your Nuvaring. One of the three ways the Nuvaring works is by preventing ovulation--same as the pill. So, hypothetically, even if you ovulated the day after you took out the Nuvaring, it would still be around two weeks until your period. I will also ask another Scarleteen staff member to check in on this to confirm. Can you share more about why the withdrawal v period distinction is feeling important to you?

Moving forward, do you want to talk through any other birth control options? Like, are you planning to go back on the pill? What made you switch from the pill to the ring? Also, if you want to share more about what you didn't like about the Nuvaring and see if we can troubleshoot at all, go for it. But also totally fine if you are just *done.*
ReliableLake
not a newbie

Hi Alice. That would be great if you could check to confirm :) the reason why it's important to me is because if it was a real period that means I would have ovulated while I was still on birth control which worried me since you aren't supposed to be ovulating.
And yes you are correct. I've been taking my pills perfectly, took all 7 sugar pills and then started the Nuva Ring the next day.
I was just confused at to why I'm bleeding twice. I remember coming off of bc pills years ago and I had my scheduled withdrawal bleed and then my real menstrual period came about 3-4 weeks later. Using that same logic and only having Nuva Ring in for one day I didn't think I would get a 2nd withdrawal bleed which makes me wonder if it was a period.

I didn't like the ring because I found it wasn't staying in well. We also don't have those applicators available where I live. I found it would keep sliding down everytime I went to the washroom and when I slept. I figured it would cause me to constantly be checking on it which isn't worth it to me. The reason I switched to the ring was because a lot of people where telling me how they had unexpected pregnancies while on the pill i was using. I mean A LOT of people were telling me this and it made me not trust my pill like I should. Moving forward I want to take 1-2 months off of birth control and then try something else. IUD's freak me out (I can't help it lol). The implant isn't available where I live. For some reason I feel better having something where I'm more in control. For example the IUD freaks me out because it's hard to tell if it's properly in place, plus I've heard horror stories about it. I've considered going back on a different combo pill or possibly trying the patch. Any and all suggestions are welcome :)
I apologise for this long post!
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

Hey ReliableLake,

I have confirmed with another staff member--it would make sense for that to be your withdrawal bleed. Also a fun fact about how the Nuvaring and the pill and the patch work--they prevent pregnancy by releasing estrogen and progestin which help prevent ovulation, thicken cervical mucus to make sperm less able to get into the cervix, and thin the lining of the uterus, making it less hospitable for a fertilized egg to implant in. It works in all three of those ways to provide backup in case one of its mechanisms doesn't work at a given time. So even if you hypothetically did ovulate while on the pill or Nuvaring, it has two more methods in place to still protect against pregnancy! :)

Sounds like you are thinking a lot about which birth control is the most effective at preventing pregnancy and so I think this would be a good piece for you to check out: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method. You will see how effective each option is on its own, and you will also see how effective they are when paired up. Something to keep in mind is the difference between perfect and typical use. Do you know what those mean? If not, we can explain! You will notice in that article that IUDs and implants are by far the most effective at protecting against pregnancy. There is a lot of misinformation and myths about IUDs out there! Do you want to talk more about them? To see if they can freak you out a little less?

And never any need to apologize! This is what we are here for. We love chatting with users about these subjects :)
ReliableLake
not a newbie

Thank you so much. You're awesome!! (And made me feel much better).
I can't wait to give that article a read. I just recently got engaged and we aren't looking to get married for another 2 years and I don't really want a child before then. It would make sense to go on something more "long term" such as an IUD or implant. I really wanted to try the implant but I live in Canada and it's never been approved here. My doctor has been really pushing the IUD but they freak me out. I've heard so many pregnancy stories and also stories on how peoples bodies expel the device or that it can harm you from the inside. I've also heard that you want to make sure you train your strings but I've heard that the device could be misplaced and you can still feel the strings. It just sounds like the possible side effects are very extreme. I know all methods have a small chance of pregnancy but at least many others won't harm me from the inside or expel lol. I would like to hear more info about IUD's. I would also like to add that I have hpv and I've also been prone to vaginal issues (I'm very very sensitive down there, I bleed easily during a pap, even sex can sometimes hurt) I was told recently that I also have vaginal eczema. (I do not have any sti's). Even though there's nothing really "wrong" with me, I am very sensitive and I rather avoid aggravating the area.

Right now I'm taking a break from birth control so I want to spend this time picking the right method for me.
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

It's great that you're being proactive about making this choice!

Sounds like you've heard a lot of stories about what can go wrong with different methods. The problem with individual experiences about anything to do with medicine is that we vary SO MUCH and the stories we are most likely to hear are generally the most extreme ends of the scale, since they're the ones that are interesting, right? And it really depends who you speak to; for example if you'd asked me I'd be telling you how much I love the IUD, because it's right for me. That doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you though. This is where scientific studies come in, which look at thousands and thousands of people and tell us about the average experience, and how likely the scary stuff is to happen. The same really goes for the pill, and the stories you've heard about unintended pregnancies - those are just a few stories out of hundreds of thousands of pill users, they tell you something that CAN happen, but that doesn't make it LIKELY to happen. Make sense?

If you like, I can give you some specific stats on how likely some of the things you're worried about are to happen on the IUD. Right now though, it sounds like maybe the most useful thing would be to go back to the beginning and walk through the process of choosing BC together, if that's something you'd like?
ReliableLake
not a newbie

That definitely makes sense. Sometimes it's hard to ignore those scary stories you know?
But yes I would love more info and statistics on the IUD and to also walk through choosing the right bc.
Thank you for taking the time to go through all this with me :) My doctor can sometimes be all over the place and sometimes rushed. I'm wanting to switch but it can be a lengthy process.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi reliablelake,

You're right that those scary stories can be hard to ignore. In fact, because so many people find them hard to ignore, we actually wrote a piece about them that you might find helpful: Have a Little Faith in BC

As for the IUD, this is a great starting point for the information you might be looking for: Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS) . Since it sounds like you're leaning towards an IUD as an option, it may help to know that some of the things you're worrying about, like it expelling itself, are far less likely to happen then, say, forgetting a birth control pill at some point. Too, if it were to expel itself, you'd see it and be able to address the issue quickly.

With birth control options, it sounds like effectiveness level is really important to you, which would make the IUD a good option. There's also the shot ( Depo-Provera (The Shot) ) that has a 96% effectiveness rate with typical use (and if you backed up with condoms you'd be in good shape). Is that an option that interests you, or are there things about it that don't sound like a good fit?
ReliableLake
not a newbie

The depo shot isn't an option for me. I was actually on it about 4 years ago and I really liked it until I found out how bad it is for you. On my 3rd shot I got extreme anxiety out of nowhere. It was so bad I thought i should be medicated because I could barely function. Coming off of it was horrible and it still gave me intense anxiety that I never had before and I just felt horrible for months (headaches, extremely sore breasts, lots of bleeding etc.) I don't like the negative and possible damaging effects it can do to your body.
I've basically narrowed it down to 3 options:
1. IUD
2. Combo pill
3. Patch
I have no issues remembering to take a pill everyday. I enjoy being on the pill but I think the large room for possible error makes me a bit worried.
Thanks for posting the link, I will check it out!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I do just want to leave a note here, as other people do read posts made, to mention that Depo-Provera is not bad for people's health in general.

Like many methods, it's not for everyone, and for some people may be a poor fit. For others, as with other methods, it's great. It is not any more dangerous than other hormonal methods, like the pill or patch. Like those, it is actually very safe when used properly, and only carries minor risks for most people when prescribed correctly, risks far less serious and likely than pregnancy presents.

It's just very important that readers here don't get inaccurate information that may scare them away from using methods that have been studied and are safe and effective. Thank you.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Since you have this down to three options, I'd say it's time to bring those three to your sexual healthcare provider, who will have your own health history in hand, and see what they suggest for you. :)
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
ReliableLake
not a newbie

My apologies Heather. I do know it can cause bone density loss and some other more temporary effects.
I will review my 3 options and if I have anymore questions I will ask. :)
I truly appreciate all your help.
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

That's something that -- unless there are updates or changes to existing data -- is primarily associated with those using it in their young teens, and which, no matter one's age, is easily counteracted with a calcium supplement (which doctors prescribing Depo for younger users will often prescribe with it).

Glad to be of help. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic