Heat and Birth Control Pills?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
bubblybumblebee
Awesomeness Quotient: I can draw
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Heat and Birth Control Pills?

Unread post by bubblybumblebee »

Hi, I was wondering if it would affect my birth control if it was outside with me, in my backpack, in 90-100 degree weather. I would sometimes sit outside for lunch at school and my pills were with me in my backpack. They were never in direct sunlight and they were also never outside for any more than an absolute maximum of 50 minutes each day, 5 days a week. I ask coz I went to prom and did some things after this had happened to the pills (and it was the same pill pack) and some things the week after so I have some paranoia that something went wrong with my pills. Any feedback is appreciated! I just need to know if the pills would still work and be effective or not. Also, I just spent the night at my aunt's house and she kept her house at 82-87 degrees the whole time and I had my pills. It is a brand new pill pack so I would hate for it to be practically useless. Thank you!
Chloé
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm doing what I want with my life, finally.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Heat and Birth Control Pills?

Unread post by Chloé »

Hi bubblybumblebee, when it comes to storage temperatures of medications, such as birth control pills, the best thing to do is to ask your pharmacist or the doctor who prescribed the medication, or to consult the literature that came with it.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Heat and Birth Control Pills?

Unread post by Heather »

Just as a general standard, once you've had oral contraceptives about temps of around 80 degrees fahrenheit or more, you will want to call into your pharmacist as Corey suggested. I'd also suggest you play it safe by using a backup method moving forward (and in general, using two methods as a practice instead of one -- like by adding condom use to your pill, is just always the best way to prevent pregnancy).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic