Hormonal IUD

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
gatesy08
not a newbie
Pronouns: she, her
Sexual identity: heterosexual

Hormonal IUD

Unread post by gatesy08 »

I have the Kyleena iud for over 4 months now. I’ve had 3 periods that lasted a good 2 weeks. Now I’m 2 weeks late for my period. I am however, cramping, cranky and breaking out as if I was on my period. I know the hormonal iud can take your periods away but I want to know then how I can trust I’m not pregnant. I saw my dr last month to confirm placement and all was good but I’m still anxious.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Hormonal IUD

Unread post by Mo »

I know you mentioned taking medication related to anxiety a few months ago, but are you getting any sort of ongoing support, like counseling, for your anxiety?

The thing is, with a form of birth control like the IUD that is so effective, the way you trust that you aren't pregnant is by knowing how effective that method is, and trusting in the science behind the method and the testing that had to happen for it to be so widely-used and widely-trusted. (If I recall correctly, you've mentioned using condoms as well, so if that's still the case then you have two extremely effective methods working for you.) Some of that you can talk to your doctor about, or read up on here at Scarleteen, but if that information isn't helping you trust your current birth control method, then I think your next step is to keep working on those feelings of anxiety, and learning to handle them as they come up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic