Back-Up With IUD?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Reelgirl
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her/hers

Back-Up With IUD?

Unread post by Reelgirl »

Hi,

I’m in a monogamous relationship and have an IUD, but have always used condoms for added protection. I read the buddy system article and saw that there wasn’t a huge efficacy difference in adding condoms vs withdrawal. If STDs aren’t a concern, does it make sense to keep using condoms, or would withdrawal as a back up be just as effective?
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Back-Up With IUD?

Unread post by Alice O »

Hi Reelgirl,

Good eye! As you can tell from the Buddy System article, IUDs are incredibly effective at preventing pregnancy on their own--99.2% effective with typical use. IUD + condom is 99.88% effective, and IUD + withdrawal is 99.78% effective. (For comparison, a condom by itself is 86% effective on its own, and withdrawal is only 73% effective.) So if STIs are not a concern, given that the difference in effectiveness between IUD + condom and IUD + withdrawal is so small, it is up to you which combination you would prefer/feel more comfortable with.

Re: STIs, how long have you been sexually exclusive with this partner and when was both of your last STI check?
Reelgirl
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her/hers

Unread post by Reelgirl »

Hi Alice,
About a year. My last check was in December, but I haven’t ever discussed it with him.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. So, it sounds like a good next step would be to discuss your STI status with each other just so everyone is on the same page ( you can also find the recommend guidelines for STI testing while in a relationship in this article: Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To ). Do you feel like you know how to get that conversation started?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic