Age difference between my boyfriend and I

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
unkown-
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Age difference between my boyfriend and I

Unread post by unkown- »

I am a 14 y/o freshmen in high school and he is a 17 y/o senior... I've been through all of the articles so far, haha, but I would still like another opinion. We met through music, as we both play an instrument and we often play duets from symphonies together. We also have talked about the age difference, and I told him so far I wasn't comfortable with a lot of PDA, especially kissing and he was really understanding about it. We have also discussed laws on sexual consent, what will happen after he turns 18, etc, etc. He agreed that we have to be careful and he wouldn't want to have sex with me until we're both ready. He's never really forced anything on me, or purposely tried to feed compliments to me over and over (it happens naturally, I guess you could say) and he is very funny and one of the best people I could've hoped to meet.

Is it just me talking because he's older, or is he truly someone I should keep?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Age difference between my boyfriend and I

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi unknown,

From what you're describing, it sounds like you two have been communicating really well about things like boundaries and that he's being really respectful of the ones you've set. It actually sounds like you two have a pretty healthy relationship, period, so this is an instance where the age difference isn't setting off any alarm bells for me. If you want another tool to help you evaluate the relationship, now or in the future, this is a great starting place (you may have already seen this one if you've been reading the site): Hello, Sailor! How to Build, Board and Navigate a Healthy Relationship
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic