Stress and my body

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kert96
not a newbie
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/her

Stress and my body

Unread post by kert96 »

Hi guys, once again I'm here.

This time I want to talk with you about something I've notice in me.
I've been in BCP for like 5 months now and I've been learning how the BCP works in my body and how my body responds to them.
Now I have a better understanding and I can confidently say that me and my partner are having "safe sex" (we often use condoms as a back up).
However, since I'm more aware of every little thing that happens/changes in my body I tend to stress and even feel anxiety (something that I've never experience before I started my sexual life).
I have to tell you guys, I do not want to get pregnant, not now. So the thought of any of these methods failing drives me crazy, like really crazy.
Its gotten to the point where my mind creates all these symptoms that I'm not sure they are there.. for example, last weekend my withdrawal bleeding came as usual, but I was feeling nauseous and my nipples were kinda like tingling and I knew it was all in my mind but I still went I bought a HPT (it was negative, obviously). I felt released for a bit and then I started stressing again... "what if..?!"
So two days ago my withdrawal bleed ended. I had sex (with condoms) and today I spotted a little bit, it has never happened. My mind is going to places from "it's implantation bleeding" to "something is wrong with my body".
I know I have to trust. My and my partner are both being super responsible about the topic, but I can't relax. Is it something normal? What can I do? I've mention it to my general doc and she seems to think I'm annoying.. so I don't know.

I feel kinda bad and sad because my friends are super relax with the topic. They take the BCP and trust and everything is ok. Why is it so difficult for me? I mean, I'm doing everything as supposed, I'm very strict with taking the pill and taking care when having sex.. so why can't my mind relax?

I feel a little bit alone on this.

Anyone?

Thanks guys.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Stress and my body

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Kert,

You're certainly not the first person to experience pregnancy anxiety even while using multiple methods of birth control. In fact, it's a common enough phenomenon that we've written an article to help people figure out what the underlying cause of that fear may be: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are? . Too, when someone is having this much anxiety around sex and pregnancy that's a sign that they need to scale back their sexual activity to a level that they're comfortable with. Do you think you could talk to your partner about doing something like that?

If your anxiety is proving difficult to get rid of, that may also be a sign that you need to connect to some mental healthcare to help you learn how to manage that anxiety. Do you know how to connect to that kind of resource?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic