Spotting and anxiety

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Livteen
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Spotting and anxiety

Unread post by Livteen »

Hi guys,

On your advice I’m receiving treatment for my anxiety and I’ve learned to trust my implant more. I do feel better, but I’ve just started a new course of antidepressants which at the moment are sending my anxiety sky high.

This has been made worse by the spotting I’ve had the last few days. My ‘period’ would usually come around the 25th, but about 4/5 days ago I started spotting. This varies from very light and light brown to darker brown/red and medium flow. I struggled with this at first, tried to think rationally about it, and felt like I succeeded.

However, today when I woke up, it’s suddenly stopped. Not a trace.

Is this okay? Does it mean my nexplanon isn’t working anymore? I did fall on that arm in a dance class a few days ago, but it feels fine...

I’m sorry for bothering you, but this bleeding pattern plus my anxiety ATM is awful. :(
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Spotting and anxiety

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Livteen,

Spotting stopping or starting is no a sign that your implant has stopped working. With the treatment for your anxiety, have you and your mental healthcare provider discussed strategies for you to use in moments when you start to worry about your birth control?
Livteen
not a newbie

Unread post by Livteen »

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much. I’m feeling less panicked today.

I have done, but they just feel like they’re not working at he minute. I’m so homesick, as I’m 200 miles from home at university. I just want to be with my family, so I turn to reassurance seeking.

I know I shouldn’t have posted here, as I’m not meant to seek reassurance, but I just felt really scared and alone.

Thank you:)
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It might also be worth talking to whoever prescribed your antidepressants and letting them know about the anxiety side-effect! They might either be able to suggest an alternate medication (it's pretty common for people to try a few antidepressants before settling on one that's a good fit) or give you some other things to try when your anxiety's ramping up and making things harder for you.
Livteen
not a newbie

Unread post by Livteen »

Hi Mo,

Thanks so much.

I have just started a new course and so I think it’s just temporary side effects.

I did, foolishly, forget to ask my pharmacist if there is an interaction between antidepressants/nexplanon in terms of decreasing effectiveness.

I take Sertraline and have nexplanon, so I’m kind of scared, I keep finding differing info. Should I call my doctor?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Livteen,

If you're feeling concerned about the possible interaction, your best bet would be to call your pharmacy and ask them about the situation over the phone. That should get you the information that you're looking for
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic