Condom failure

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jasther
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Condom failure

Unread post by Jasther »

Hi, I want to ask about condom failure. What consider a condom failure? If the condom move down or slip halway down (still cover the head) but never slip all the way off from the penis, is this consider a condom failure? Thank you.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Condom failure

Unread post by Heather »

Well, really a condom failure is when someone uses a condom, and either a pregnancy occurs anyway, and/or an STI is transmitted anyway. That's what "failure" means when we talk about condoms in that way.

But if you're asking what usually makes those things happen, it is either a condom not being worn the whole time, from start to finish, not being worn at all, or breaking or sliding off (all the way off).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Jasther
not a newbie

Unread post by Jasther »

Yes I mean things that make condom fail. Thank you so much for your answer.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

I'd say the number one thing that makes condoms break is when they are too dry.

This can be addressed by
  • Paying attention to dryness
  • using water based lubricant
  • always using condoms which are in-date (when they get old they lose moisture which makes them less effective)
  • if having problems with it falling off, try other styles/brands/sizes
More information on how to use condoms here:

Condom Basics: A User's Manual
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Jasther
not a newbie

Unread post by Jasther »

Thank you so much for the explanation. I got confused because condom slippage is one of the things that consider as condom failure. But the condom sometimes will move down or slip down but not all the way off. Just want to confirm that if it slip down halfway (cover the head) is still consider as a proper use of condom or not. Thank you so much for all the replies.
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Unread post by Siân »

Hi Jasther,

If you're having problems with condoms slipping off, it might be that you need to try a different size or brand. Condoms that fit well are less likely to slip or break, especially when used with a bit of water based lube as Jacob suggested. You can find out more about all the different condom options here: Condom Basics: A User's Manual
Jasther
not a newbie

Unread post by Jasther »

Hi, lastly i want to ask, as per condom slip down. If the condom slip down as what I said earlier, does it still counted as perfect use of reliable method of birth control?
Bcause I have read your pregnancy scared policy and one said "Were you or a partner using a reliable method of birth control perfectly for either that incident or, for methods like the pill or charting, for the whole of a cycle? If so, pregnancy is unlikely. If more than one method was used perfectly, it is WAY unlikely". So is slip down still consider perfect use of condom? Thank you Sian, Jacob and Heather.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

If a condom slips down a bit but doesn't come entirely off then it's unlikely that its effectiveness was reduced at all.
Jasther
not a newbie

Unread post by Jasther »

Thank you Mo, so i think it is still consider as perfect use of condom? And not typical use of condom?
And i can assume that if just slip down there is no need to to take an EC pill it is just when the condom entirely off from the penis or off entirely inside the vagina then advice to take EC pill? Thank you for all the explanation
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

Typical and perfect use rates are for one YEAR of use, not one-time use, but if when using your condom you stored it properly before, put it on right and took it off properly too, then yes, you used that condom correctly.

When to use EC is really about when people want to, but it is something you want to try and keep to a minimum due to expense and the fact that it is a hormonal medication not meant to be used super-often. If condoms used all by themselves correctly, but still doing the things they do, like sometimes sliding around a bit, leaves you feeling less secure than you like, I'd say EC is less of a sound choice (and no, IMO, isn't needed) than finding a second backup method you can use all the time so you feel more confident and have the level of protection you want.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Jasther
not a newbie

Unread post by Jasther »

Thank you so much Heather. May i know what suggestion of 2nd back up method that you recommend? I dun want to use EC as well because i know it can mess up cycle and all. So i don't really think of getting any birth control pill. And I have seen some other posts by Scarleteen that tell EC is not needed if the condom never slip entirely off from the penis. (Please correct me if i'm wrong)
For now, I used condom for every genital to genital contact plus withdrawal (pull out) whenever my partner ejaculate. So that it wont near any part of my genitals. Is this consider as 2 method of birth control? Do you think this is safe enough? Thank you for all your suggestions
Heather

Unread post by Heather »

I feel like we've already answered the questions about slipping.

I can't tell you what method is best for you, including what is safe "enough." That's a matter of personal preference. For sure, withdrawal is one method of contraception, so if condoms are your primary method and withdrawal your secondary, that's your second method.

If you'd like to look up the efficacy of that combination -- and also see others -- so you can decide for yourself if you feel like that combination is safe enough for what you want, you can get that information here: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method. :)
Jasther
not a newbie

Unread post by Jasther »

I see, I have seen the article that you sent to me. So all of the effectiveness will be for 1 year of usage?
And i have other 2 questions. Firstly, how we store a condom properly? If when used the condom didn't break at all and not dry does it mean we have stored it properly?
And if the condom didn't break and never slip all the way off from the penis, used it everytime for genital to genital contact we can be sure that we used it properly and the condom did its job? Thank you Heather
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Jasther,

You can read about how to store a condom properly in this article: All the Barriers! All the Time! . As for your other question, you can find the answer in that article as well as some of the other articles and conversations on the main website.
Jasther
not a newbie

Unread post by Jasther »

Hi Sam, thank you for the reply.
I have seen the article and found the way to store a condom. But for my other questions i could not find the answer to it, do you mind to refer me to one of the articles or conversations that you mentioned? Thank you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic