Pregnancy test advice

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Livteen
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Pregnancy test advice

Unread post by Livteen »

Hi guys!

I’ve read your page on peeing on a stick and it was super useful. However through some googling (which I now realise was silly) I’ve seen some people saying they have never ever gotten a positive pregnancy test even when they were pregnant. How likely is this? I have a weird fear of never knowing I’m pregnant before it’s too late and so this kind of freaked me out. I also live in england so on our NHS a blood test to check is pretty unlikely as most GPs will say no.

I had the teeniest, most unlikely risk three weeks back but was pretty relieved after testing 21 days later (I have erratic periods after stopping the pill a so can’t really rely on this) and getting a negative result, but this had kind of made me panic again. I was wondering what you think about this?

Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Pregnancy test advice

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Livteen,

It is possible to receive a negative result and be pregnant, and this most often occurs because a test was taken too early, incorrectly, or (rarely) there was something wrong with the test. Assuming you took the test correctly and after the correct amount of time, it's fairly safe to assume that you're not pregnant. However, if you're still feeling stressed about the possibility of the test being wrong, the easiest way to address that is by taking a second test. Given that you sound pretty stressed right now, you may also want to take some time to do some self-care to help you feel better: Self-Care a La Carte
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic