Diarrhea and birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
FadedPassion
not a newbie
Pronouns: Her

Diarrhea and birth control

Unread post by FadedPassion »

I had been out drinking the night before and the next morning at around 8am I had a bit of diarrhea. I took my pill as normal at 12:00 noon. 2 and a half hours later I had 1 bout of severe diarrhea. Does having a severe bout of diarrhea 2 and a half hours after taking your pill make it less effective? I'm on Tri-Cyclen

I've heard some conflicting things. I heard it might. And then I heard that it would only make it less effective if I had 6+ bouts in 24 hours. I even called 2 pharmacists and they weren't very helpful. They said they aren't sure but then said I should be fine. I haven't had sex recently and to be safe I won't have sex for the rest of my pack but I wanted clarification on if this situation would effect my pill or not.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Diarrhea and birth control

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi FadedPassion,

The pill is usually absorbed within 2-3 hours of being taken, so there is a possibility that it may not have been all the way absorbed into your system when you had diarrhea. It's generally recommended that if this happens, you should use a back-up method for at least a week after the diarrhea subsides.
FadedPassion
not a newbie
Pronouns: Her

Unread post by FadedPassion »

That was my logic as well. Just to be safe I'm not going to have sex. Would you consider it a missed pill and take another? This happened yesterday and I ended up not taking another pill.
I only have 5 active pills left in my pack. Would I be protected during my break week?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I would not personally consider it a missed pill.

What I would do, were it me, is just keep taking the rest of the pack and your placebo week as usual, and either take a pass on any intercourse, just to be safe, if that were a thing you might do OR just back up with condoms (which is something I'd already be doing anyway, but still).
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic